navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grounding question and unspent neutrons  (Read 2105 times)
dodgy rog

« on: February 21, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »

hello can someone tell me when installing an inverter system do i need two earth rods one for ac and one for dc or do you combine both onto one, thanks roger
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:07:43 PM by dodgy rog » Logged
Justme

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »

One is fine.

Have you also bonded the earth & neutral lines?

Some inverters have this done already, some can be done via software & some dont allow it to be done (so you should not use that type in a off grid dwelling). Incidently you should also do the same to your genny. The bonding ensure that your RCD's (you do have RCD's?) work properly.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Billy
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »

you could use two rods, but as they would or should be at the same potential then one would be fine.  Check on your ac/dc earthing requirements and make sure you know what's what.  On boat stuff we have to be careful as we don't want to earth fault to the boat (steel) and fry any swimmers in the vicinity, nor have the potential for mixing the ac and low voltage dc systems.  Some recommend earthing the negative battery to the mains earth but this can mean that mains voltage is introduced into the dc system in a fault situation, particularly if there is a fault in the dc system.  That is the one that people tend to play with.  Make sure what you do complies, there are certified! land sparkies on the forum you will give you the info I'm sure, if you ask them nicely.

As soon as I step ashore I become incompetent and different rules apply.

Grin
dodgy rog

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »

yes we have rcds and i am pretty shure we have bonded earth and neg together, will check tomorrow my electrician will be here, he is old school house sparky i think we are going for belt and braces approach,  another piece of confusion is we are not shure if we need to disconnect the neg ground in the generator and just leave the chassis earthed, something to do with unspent neutrons making the circuit unbalanced and possibly cooking the inverter with a bit of luck we could be turning it all on tommorrow
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »

Unspent Neutrons?
Caught my eye, A neutron consists of udd quarks? IOs this something else?
StB

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Billy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

On boats we bond at the generator if using an isolation transformer or inverter which is doing the same thing.  Thus the bonding at the isolating inverter is not done if generator is present.  Pretty sure it's the same for land based stuff.  I never bond battery -ive to ac earth, too many problems if anything gets wet or corrodes.  No real need to either.

Check with your man, but make sure he is familiar with your system.
Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »

It was just mentioned on the news that the neutron is about to be devalued so I suggest you divest yourself of them immediately  help

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
daftlad

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:42:01 AM »

I came across a genny that had a centre tapped secondary conected to the frame/ earth so be careful, it was a 5kva honda petrol which it could be switched between 110 and 230 volts.

laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: