navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much wooodland do I need?  (Read 21694 times)
Justme

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »

yeh I had heard numbers like 1000 per day. Air spades are good too.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
charlieb

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »

Do these transplanted trees really do OK?    Many of the (slighly smaller) ones I've transplanted by hand, especially beech, have ended up dieing.   I've also heard that you're as well transplanting really small stuff - it takes the big ones a couple of years to recover from the moving shock, so the littluns will have caught up by then anyway.   Experience?  Thoughts?    (Not that I'm going to go spend  a grand hiring one of these PTO spades). 

C
dhaslam

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »

Small trees can survive easily because the roots are contained within the clay plug lifted  by the spade.   Larger trees have their roots cut and it is recommended that they be partly cut for a full year before moving.  This encourages the tree to form new shorter roots.   The loss of root area can be compensated for by constant watering,   The easiest way is too use a barrel of water and arrange to have a constant drip.   In any case it is easier to move trees when they are dormant.     There is a danger with global warming that a lot of shallow rooted trees like beech will start dying  even without moving them  so it isn't surprising that there are a lot of failures.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
billt

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »

The best way of getting lots of trees is to plant whips. They cost about 25p each for common native species, are dead easy to plant (only need a hand spade) and establish really well. You have to plant them when they are dormant, and they'll need protection if you have rabbits or deer.

Transplanting trees is only for those with loads of money who want an instant feature!
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

I planted about 3000  willow ,Alder , Poplar (Aspen)  for a coppice woodland idea  for later fire wood

The  bare rooted willow i bought for  less then 50 pence a plant   and cut it into about 4 cuttings that i just sticked in the ground (at least  4 to10 inch )

This winter i took further cuttings to increase the density

Thats the result after one and a half year   

Billi

* forrest.jpg (112.88 KB, 510x763 - viewed 455 times.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:49:43 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »

Billi
Poplar is an interesting choice it has a bad press. Possibly Aspen is better? Ash and Willow I can understand; indeed they are part of the greening plan for StBC.

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Taffyboy

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »

I have access to a 10 acre, 40 yr old woodland here, have someone from the Oxfordshire Woodland Trust visiting on Monday to give free advice, should be good!
In the meantime I'm felling standing seasoned beech like no tomorrow.... Grin

Lurvely and warm here...

Vermont Castings Vigilant with a 10 acre woodland...Cheap heat doesn't get better...

If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it.
Treebeard

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »

Poplar is fine as firewood, it seasons quite quickly if it is cut to log lengths. It burns quite quickly though, great for an instant burst of heat.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »

Billi
Poplar is an interesting choice it has a bad press. Possibly Aspen is better? Ash and Willow I can understand; indeed they are part of the greening plan for StBC.

The Plan was and is to use fast growing  wood and straight , so minimal work involved  and then cut the straight  shoots into 1 meter long bundled with a hemp line  , fed into a  wood gasifying boiler ( similar sized  like a square  straw bale )  in one  piece   ( perhaps too heavy , will see,  hope the forklift battery will help   Grin)

Or shredder it and use a wood chip burner .... I am a bid mad about it, to reduce my manual work compared to the gain ... arent we all a bit lazy ?

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
daftlad

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »

billi
I am sure i have said this before but a simple gasifying heater is a ceramic/ russian/ masonary stove.
two burns a day and it acts as a big thermal store, the wood you feed it with should be pretty thin as well so coppice ideal.
you need the space for it though.

laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »

daftlad

I like these masonry stoves , but doubt Russia  is the  origin (might be wrong )

Ours in Bavaria was built and about  10 ton heavy  ( i guess) and its a nice memory for me (was 14  to 22 years of age)

It worked 100 % hot and was a cool  setup , but now i am in Ireland  Grin  so no heavy winter and only need  heat in small doses ....  and like to mix solar heating and wood ... so i guess has to be a thermal store

Sure i still think about an Idea to utilize  a masonry stove  to combine with a solar Air heating Idea ( just to pass on the Warm air of the panels through the long winding clay  chimney   in the stove )  and have the let me say 10 ton heavy clay block as a huge radiator

Next live i will be an Inventor  Grin

Billi

daftlad

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »

Billi
I don't think they originated in russia but they certainly use the concept well.
I think they could be combined with passive solar very well but not so good combined with other solar (not enough heat) but i may be wrong.
the reason i bang on about ceramic stoves is they are simple and efficient 90 percent as opposed to 75 in a metal wood stove or less and will burn any old rubbish.

laters

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »

daftlad

totally  agree with you they outperform most(all)  metal stoves  easy

Billi

Taffyboy

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:08 AM »

Unless you want to boil your whites in them..

Vermont Castings Vigilant with a 10 acre woodland...Cheap heat doesn't get better...

If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it.
daftlad

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 02:21:28 AM »

I have seen masonry stoves with hotplates and an oven
laters

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: