navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much wooodland do I need?  (Read 21620 times)
dhaslam

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »

These stoves were fine in old houses with solid walls and enormous heat loss.  In a modern insulated house they would cook the inhabitants.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
daftlad

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »

These stoves were fine in old houses with solid walls and enormous heat loss.  In a modern insulated house they would cook the inhabitants.  
Not true, because they are only fired twice a day and the masonry is kept at a relatively low temperature to prevent cracking, the output is surprisingly low. The main problem is the low output in relation to size (they are just too big and heavy for modern houses)
laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »

Ours in Bavaria was fired up only  twice a week  Wink  perhaps 4 times a week  in winter ( down to 20 below freezing )  , but true Dhaslam   it was an old Bavarian Farmhouse ( 3 feet solid sandstone walls )

And thats why i cannot recommend them for low  heat needing houses , but there are super efficient maissionary stove  inserts available that can control the amount of heat going to a thermal store (buffer tank )  and heat your let me say 5 tons of clay around them   to keep the open living area warm , without touching the thermal store /radiator setup  in the morning

I know you all get bored with my German links   , but that one does 30 kw to water store and 1.5 kw to 4 kw (variable ) to the room ....  and burns twice the flame ( gasifying idea )

http://www.zukunft-sonne.de/powall/POWALL_Vario_K_Flyer_7-07.pdf

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »

Hi DH
Curiously the first person who was famous for replanting trees was born about 10 miles away from StBC. His Was arguably the most famous landscape gardener of all time (certainly in these islands.) His name was "Capability" Brown. There is a move to do some landscaping herein Northumberland. Possibly your cousin could quote?
StB

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
dhaslam

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »

My cousin did his forestry degree in Scotland and there were  a lot of good ideas from lecturers there. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
lightfoot

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:25 AM »

Hello thebrick (OP) - are you still with us.....or have you gone a little cross-eyed  Grin

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
daftlad

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 01:53:22 AM »

daftlad banging on about masonary stoves again.
a quote from the Missouri Department of natural resources

Size of Unit:
The masonry stove, as described in this publication, with a firebox exterior of 27 x 36 inches, is
large enough to adequately heat a 1200 to 1500 square foot residence, when insulated to R30
ceilings, R20 walls and R13 floors. This also assumes good weatherstripping, joint caulking and
double glazed windows. Heat distribution by directional fans or duct work will be required to
adequately disperse the heat that this stove is capable of producing. Twenty pounds of air dry
wood burned in a masonry stove will deliver approximately a net value of 112,000 BTU.
With the use of special sized firebrick or castable clay a vertical flue run masonry stove could be
constructed with an outside ornamental wall dimension of 25" x 25' x 6 feet high. Allowing for
safety spacing with a heat shield the masonry stove would occupy a space of approximately 39 x
39 inches. This is very similar to the space required for a large radiant heat style stove. The
weight of the unit would also be greatly reduced. The cost factor is uncertain as fewer but more
costly materials are required, also molds are required to form the castable clay.

this is a link to the full text

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub781.pdf

I dont think they have to be massive

has anyone actually built one of these because they look brill and i would like to know more

laters

* big stove.jpg (57.74 KB, 500x580 - viewed 489 times.)

daftlad

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 01:57:29 AM »

a slightly smaller one

* small stove.jpg (112.15 KB, 400x527 - viewed 445 times.)

Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »

Can anybody recommend a good online shop where to get poplar, ash, hazel and sweet chestnut ?

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billt

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »

Presumably you're talking about plants rather than firewood? Then I've used Buckingham Nurseries who sell bare rooted trees at reasonable prices. I bought some hedging from them 5 years ago and they have established well. Mind you they did take 6 weeks to dispatch the order and it was very late in the season when they went in!

If you want Nothofagus Procera, which has been recommended on the Greenbuilding forum as a good fast growing firewood tree, then Heathwood Nurseries http://www.heathwood.co.uk/2004/fieldgrown.htm have them listed, although I haven't used them myself.

You may find that finding a local tree nursery is worth the effort, they will usually be cheaper than internet suppliers.

Having said that I've just found that the local nursery that I've used recently have a web site www.johnholliday.co.uk
lightfoot

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »

Hi Stefan - I'm not sure exactly where you stay, but here's a couple of links for some sources North of the border....

http://www.christie-elite.co.uk

http://treenurseryscotland.org.uk/list.html

Good luck,

Lightfoot.

PS,  you don't see (or should I say, I've never seen) much Sweet Chestnut in the North of Scotland - apart from being non-native, I guess it may be a bit cold etc.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:24:05 PM by lightfoot » Logged

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 08:37:46 PM »

Yes, I did mean plants. No local nursery, so will have to rely on good online shop.
Like to get stock from different suppliers.
Suppose it might be a bit cold for sweet chestnut, was hoping to grow just a few sheltered by other trees...

Stefan

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »

No local nursery, so will have to rely on good online shop

My nurseries here in Ireland deliver nation wide (ok when bigger orders  ) 

I planted  quite a few  Spanish /sweet chestnut here at the coast of Ireland  and its not growing too good (  quite slow and small ) , but still grows

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Woodenstop
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »

Have a look at this company

http://www.perriehale.com/default.asp

Andy
Eleanor

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 11:28:35 PM »

Lightfoot, thanks for the Christie Elite link. I think we'll give them a go. Bill, I can agree that Buckingham are good too, we used to buy from them when we lived there  garden

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: