navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: batteries change the acid  (Read 2337 times)
dodgy rog

« on: March 02, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »

hi i have just got my system up and running very happy just a few teething problems too sort out, i did a 2 hour Eq charge at 31v to shake up my old forklift battery set after this the sg was around 120 to 124 and the battery seems to loose its charge a bit to soon i think the battery is on its last legs , i was thinking of changing the acid for new is this worthwhile? i thought i could use a small pump like the windscreen wipers of a car to pump out the old acid , there is a chemical that is supposed to help desulphate the plates does it work, i wounder if i could find it in france?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »

charge at 31v to shake up my old forklift battery

31 v is  close to my normal charge voltage in cold weather  Roll Eyes  (below 10 ) did you actually hear the battery cooking ?  Sounds frightening , but thats the aim

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Justme

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »

After charging its normal for the voltage to tail quite quickly till it gets to its real voltage & not its surface charge voltage.

If you could be more specific in your responces quoting volts to 2 decimal places using a meter that has an acuracy of better than 2% as any less than that is not acurate enough for checking bat charge status.

Changing bat acid used to be done but is considered far to dangerous outside of special units today & you would not be able to dispose of the old acid & sludge.

What size in amps is the battery?
I dont think a 2 hour eq charge is enough to balance the cells out. Was this after a normal full charge or instead of? What size charger do you have? Could you hear the battery bubbling?

Justme
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:17:51 PM by Justme » Logged

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
dodgy rog

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »

the inv /chargeer is outback vfx3024e its an 80amp charger, yes they were bubbling away nicely , i pretty shure they will take the old acid at my local dechette , i will try to take more accurate sg readings but to use voltmetre i have to disconect each cell ?! but does it make much difference? i was recently told the battery was a hoppecke 24V 5 pzs 625, thats 600ah but i am not shure this is the right model have tried emailing hopecke waiting for reply now, i have to sit down and do the maths to see how good or how bad it is.

* all wired up 035.jpg (97.39 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 300 times.)
desperate
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:11:25 PM »

Many years ago I managed to give some 6 volt truck batteries a new lease of life by draining all the acid and sludge out, filling up with clean rain water and putting on a slowish charge for about a week. After this I had them filled with new acid,recharged, and bingo they worked a treat. Before the treatment they would hardly start a big diesel compressor, afterwards no problem. I figured electrolysis of the lead sulphate with clean water as
Pb2SO4 +H2O=2Pbo+H2SO4 or summat.      stir    You could neutralize the old acid using chalk/limestone etc, the resulting Calcium Sulphate is not a problem, not sure about the lead content though.
Im not sure how long they lasted as I sold the compressor with the working batteries after about 9 months.
It might be worth a go if the batteries are dying anyway, good luck

Desperate
Justme

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:30:15 PM »

You can measure the volts of each cell whilst still connected as long as its not under charge or discharge & has not been under charge or discharge pref for 4 plus hours.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Pages: [1]   Go Up