navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sweeping chimbley's  (Read 4275 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: March 03, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »

Anyone recommend a good source for a sweeping set that won't break (cheap metal) like my last ones midsweep 1st time out?

cheers

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
martin

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »

If you've got a straight flue, you could try my method - stick a 12-bore up it, and let fly with both barrels at the same time - the shock-wave dislodges the soot, and viewed from the outside apparently gives a wonderful "mushroom cloud" -
worked a treat on a 15th century pub chimney, but don't do what I did.......... keep your head outside the fire canopy - I didn't and was deaf for a week.......... Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »

Tie a brick to a long rope, lower down chimney, tie a small holly bush in middle of rope and pull up and down, up and down

I did it once and it worked a treat

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »

Gus  one applaud    for your new picture  , that cleans my chimney....

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Brian H

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »

I just use a brush fitted to a set of drain rods, never had any problems. They came from screwfix.

Paulh_Boats

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »

I knew the kids would be useful one day.........

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Taffyboy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »

Set fire to it..

Vermont Castings Vigilant with a 10 acre woodland...Cheap heat doesn't get better...

If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it.
dhaslam

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »

On old chimneys a piece of netting wire on a rope can be pulled through.     

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
MR GUS

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »

cheers! ..I don't have too much faith since my new set from a proper brush com[any broke & left me in the mire!
..guess I'll simply have to buy another set & hope for better results!

Billi, ..another Trailer Park Boys character, but yes I have been known to wear the exact same outfit in years passed!
 Glad you liked it!

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Ivan
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:46:40 AM »

It's a lot less messy if you get onto the roof and clean it from the top - avoids a black living room carpet and having to dust soot off everything for weeks. It's very difficult to keep the dust ontop of/behind dust sheets.

Second thing, if you are using drain rods (that's what I do), make sure you get a set with rotating joints, otherwise as you push/pull your way up the chimney, the joints will undo and deposit the brush plus a few lengths of rod half way up a chimney - I did it first time I brushed a chimney, and it's not easy to get it out afterwards. If you don't get the rods with rotating joints, you'll need to perfect an interesting hand motion ie rotating the rods to effect constant tightening.
MR GUS

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »

Good call Ivan! ..now if only I can stay sober enough to find some!

Noli Timere Messorem
wookey

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »

Yep I too have found screwfix drain rod set including brush to be very satisfactory for both chimney and drains.

One bit of advice - make sure that if you have to brush through the stove via an elbow, that your chimney shape or flaunching directs the brush centrally back down the flue where it comes out of the register plate. Old house chimney was fine but new one turns out to be almost impossible to get brush back down hole (centre jams on edge of flue above register plate). Having a lined chimney would also avoid this problem.

Wookey
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: