navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote wireless access  (Read 11584 times)
insolare

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »

Satellite signals can degrade to the point of not working at all if you get a very heavy cloud come over. I'm sure there are lots of Sky viewers who've experienced this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:57:13 PM by insolare » Logged
djh

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »

P.S., I wonder when "wireless" well get to be regarded as being as quaint a term as "horseless carriage".

It already did. It used to mean the radio receiver that you had in your living room. Then they invented the transistor.

So it's already on its second go-around. Smiley

Cheers, Dave
wdh

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »

The word "wireless" got a big boost with Bluetooth.

It'll get another when wireless usb arrives.

But people do look at you strangely if you use it as a noun.  Embarrassed
djh

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »

Don't noun your adjectives?  bike  Huh

Cheers, Dave
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 06:55:22 AM »

All is sweetness and light in the Camillitech household and I'm now back down stairs with my dongle out of the window and packed away ready for my next week at work  Grin Phoned up my ISP https://www.avantiplc.com/scotland/index.htm first thing yesterday and by some miracle it is now faster than it's ever been. I suspect some tweeking has been done. I got this package, free equipment, free installation and a very reasonable monthly charge as part of the not very well advertised Scottish Broadband Reach program but I see from there web site that they are now doing something similar in Northern Ireland.

Thanks again for all the interesting info and links chaps, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Amy

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »

ive had 3 mobile broadband for 17 months.

Initially i had probs logging in because despite telling them i have a MAC and needed the driver to set up for mac access, they didnt give me one.

long story but i got connected in the end.  Its not the fastest thing in the world but at least i can get online without having to stalk the streets in the dark looking for a stray signal.

Ive noticed it works quicker in some places and not at all in others.
Vale of York is slow and often gets cut off and Tetbury is non existant. Risca in the valleys is even faster than here.

I opted for this as a previous tennant didnt pay his phone bill and BT wanted me to pay before they reconnected the line . I only managed to shout a few obscenities before they hung up.
Now im beyond the 12 month contract period and can cancel at a moments notice if i wish.

All this for 14.68 a month / 3MB

wdh

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 09:40:24 AM »

Don't noun your adjectives?  bike  Huh
I believe "the wireless" preceded "the video" in demotic usage by about half a century!
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »

All this for 14.68 a month / 3MB

3GB I trust.

Presumably they really sting you if you go over that limit, though?

3GB is about what I use each month now.  I noticed the other day that 15 per month for 5GB is now available which would give a bit of leeway for heavy usage months.  18 month contract.  That would be cheaper than my current wired connection (10/month for the line + 15/month for the ADSL) as I hardly make any voice calls and my mobile would be quite sufficient for the ones I do make.

I started this thread referencing Paul's particular problem to give it a bit of focus but the whole subject of "off-grid" broadband is, I think, of much more general interest.
Amy

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »

Your right, ........it is GB.

ive never been over the limit, even though its switched on for 18 hours a day. I occasionally download a music track but never video.
So its ample for my needs, unlike some other things in life.

Justme

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »

I am with THREE G on 5gig for 7.50 (special offer) They hammer you if you go over. Last month I did lots of down loads & went over by about 100mb per day for 4 days & got stung over 50. Thinking of upgrading to the 7 gig or even the 15 gig as I am on the special I can get those amounts cheeper too. One of the discount sites still gives a link to the offers I think.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
daftlad

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »

Justme
Get a "down load" meter, i use netmeter, a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, 50 quid, harsh.
As far as i know 3 is still the only one that allows Voip, may only be skype as they have some sort of deal on there phones?

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Justme

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »

Not much help when you use a router to connect & you have multipul pc's game's & hand helds that access the net via it.

Was a one off realy as I was downloading some large trial software progs
 (of which NONE did what they said on the tin)
Justme

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
wdh

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 10:15:51 PM »

Not much help when you use a router to connect & you have multipul pc's game's & hand helds that access the net via it.

Oh come on!
Aren't there network versions of such things? 
Here's just one example http://www.tamos.com/products/commtraffic/
Justme

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »

And that would work on a Xbox, psp, phones using the net via the router?

Its also 39 or 74. If needed I can log onto the ISP account to see whats left of the allowance which I had done & did calc that I would have enough left for the few days of the month left at my normal usage but was 4 days out (well 8 if you include the over spend).  The month daily average was spot on (plus the extra demos) just that averages are just that & not actual daily usage & the last 4/8 days of the month were bigger days. Was a bit peeved with Three cos  phoned em to upgrade but they would not start it till the following month, also tried to buy an add on like on pay as you go but they would not allow that either. In the end I used my phone at 1 per day unlimited to finish the month out (4 days). Have set account limits to 0 now so it cant happen again.

Richard

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
daftlad

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »

Have set account limits to 0 now so it cant happen again.

Richard
does this mean that the connection is disconnected when your download limit is reached.
that is one of my worries about mobile broadband that when you go over you get really stung, if you can set it to stop then that is good.
laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: