navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox vs Explorer  (Read 9525 times)
Ivan
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »

I'm a devote anti-M$ person and I always use firefox instead of IE.

However, I've noticed a real lag with firefox. For example scrolling is always a second or two delayed, which is really annonying when I'm trying to read posts quickly, or flicking between different websites. IE, on the other hand appears to have no time lag.

I'd hate to think M$ have the better product - is there anything I can do to fix this?!
wookey

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:29:23 AM »

Use epiphany - it's much faster, but the same underlying engine. Much smaller selection of addons, but the important ones are there (adblock, smart bokmarks, user-agent). So far as I know it's only available on GNU/Linux, so if you need a Windows browser then I guess you need to stick with Firefox. There is also Galeon which is another offshoot of the same engine - that certainly used to have a Windows version.

Wookey
rt29781

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »

I have a suspicion that M$ are trying to cripple Firefox on their operating systems.  I am back on M$ Vista after my USB key died (I knocked it)..Firefox is much slower on Vista than on Ubuntu.  Also Vista resets with great regularity still so that's not fixed..

Nowt currently, Aberdeen.....well actually very well insulated extension with passive solar that seems to heat the house....
damnager

St Ives

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »

Ivan,
       try Opera. Cross platform (works on anything) same shortcut keys as Firefox, quicker than M$. I've used FF for years but switched to Opera 6 months ago and have found it stable. Same problem as non M$ browser in that sites sometimes don't render (opera is 100% compliant) but that is a problem with thesite and not Opera.

Keith
pphilpot

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »

Safari 4 Beta is very fast in comparison to Firefox, and stable too.
guydewdney

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »

i just downloaded opera - its fairly slick - the bookmarks was a bit of a mare though

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
billt

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:09:02 AM »

Having used Firefox since it was called Firebird I would suggest that the problem is local to you. Using the current version under XP, on a Mac, or in Fusion running XP on a Mac I have neither of those problems.

Sorry, I can't think of a reason why it should be so, but I doubt that it is the browser.
sjaglin

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

Having used Firefox since it was called Firebird I would suggest that the problem is local to you. Using the current version under XP, on a Mac, or in Fusion running XP on a Mac I have neither of those problems.

Sorry, I can't think of a reason why it should be so, but I doubt that it is the browser.

Same here. Probably some tidying or tuning to do, not sure where though, mine's always worked fine, I have tried the otheres mentioned above a few times under Linux and XP but I stick to Firefox...

Stef

pphilpot

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »

Also Ivan, reduce the setting for how long it should keep the history for, this speeds Firefox up a bit...
Rooster

Dum Spiro Spero

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »

I'm a devote anti-M$ person and I always use firefox instead of IE.

However, I've noticed a real lag with firefox. For example scrolling is always a second or two delayed, which is really annonying when I'm trying to read posts quickly, or flicking between different websites. IE, on the other hand appears to have no time lag.

I'd hate to think M$ have the better product - is there anything I can do to fix this?!

I'd check system resources to see if anything is hogging CPU in the background. Ctrl Alt Del then Performance tab in XP.

Firefox with XP is fine here although sometimes it starts experiencing delays, in my case these delays are caused by AVG running a system scan in the background! Keep meaning to sort it out properly but haven't as yet.

Some sites are just poorly written and only seem to work properly with one particular browser, but thats a really a fault of the site not the browsers.

Roy
Hugo

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »

I have had the same as you Ivan.  I had Firefox Universal File Uploader as an add on, and after uninstalling it, things are a bit faster.
Ivan
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

I'll give some of the other browsers a go. I suspect M$ have deliberately tuned their operating systems to cause slowing of Firefox. It's not likely to be accumulation of junk - as it's a very recent re-installation of windows and a recent installation of firefox. Could be other software I suppose - I've got a few things running like internet phone.

The CPU Usage graph shows 2-4% usage on idle. As I type or move the mouse it blips up to 16-20%.
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

it isn't vista still on its learning curve thingy is it?

I seem to remember that windows vista took a while to settle down after a new install whilst it learned what you used or something... plus all the updates  banghead.

mind you I could be talk total  Lips Sealed.

Or are you having a slow down with FF and not if you use IE at pretty much the same time and same sites? BTW I use IE.... I just can't be arsed with opera ff Linux, etc...I suppose this is what M$ is hopeing everyone else is like.

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »

Firefox on Linux gradually got slower and slower for me, too.  This post gave a clue:

http://shallowsky.com/blog/tech/web/firefox-places.html

I didn't need to do the deletion of the database stuff that she needed solve her problem - just doing the sqlite3 vacuum on the database sped Firefox up significantly for me.  I also reduced my history significantly (to 10 days).
Rooster

Dum Spiro Spero

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:59 PM »

Which operating system are you using Ivan?

Roy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: