navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting 24v DC to 3kw 230v AC  (Read 4207 times)
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »

How fascinating.

Mawson and Weddell are also names that pop up with regard to the antarctic

Sir Douglas Mawson was an aussie explorer/geologist and James Weddell found the Weddell Sea

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
djh

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »

About 100 yrs ago, the fluorescent lamp was invented by a French scientist and it has stayed much the same since.  Now we have CFLs that fluoresce and provide, so they say, more "home friendly" light than the "office" type lighting of the normal fluorescent tube.

There's nothing magic about CFLs. It's just that phosphor technology has improved over the years. Triphosphor tubes have three phosphors that produce different frequencies of light to give more natural light. They're available as straight tubes as well as CFLs. The tubes are more efficient and cheaper (except when the CFLs are subsidised!). And the most widely available colour temperature of CFLs is designed to look like tungsten bulbs, which most people in the UK have come to expect.

Both still use mercury which is nasty stuff.  (Beats me why we walk about with it in our tooth fillings!  Maybe someone will tell me the amalgam is not real mercury or it has been superseded for general fillings by something less toxic.  I think they use ground glass in cosmetic filings)

Amalgam does contain real mercury; far more than is in modern fluorescent tubes. Release into the atmosphere by cremation is a (the?) major source of atmospheric mercury. It's still used because it is cheaper than the resins and because it is stronger. My personal choice was that it wasn't worth removing all existing fillings but all new ones would be resins. But I had to backtrack in one case where none of the resins could be used because of the strength issue.

Cheers, Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: