navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone tried adding a reflector?  (Read 36035 times)
Ivan
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »

No, not three pots of curry powder. It's a teaspoon of each except the garum masala (1/2 tsp). See recipe at top of page!
sjaglin

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »

Some update on my solar oven, I have improved my system and managed to reach 90+ on Saturday despite the clouds. It's only the beginning of April so I should be able to cook something soon!

My Solar Oven (click on link)

Stef

garden

sjaglin

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »

Yeepee!

Have reached the 100s at last and even 110 degrees celcius in April in the UK!! Really happy!

Stef

Ivan
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »

Still can't see your website - is it offline in the late evening? I've tried firefox and IE and both fail.
damnager

St Ives

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »

Ivan,
       On his home page he gives "opening Hours" as 07:00 to 22:00 mon-fri and 08:00-22:00 @w/e this probably means that a night owl like yourself gets around to trying too late  Wink

Keith
sjaglin

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »

Hi,

Indeed my website is off at night because I host it on my NAS server and I want it off when the sun is not up... Sorry. Besides today I am away from home and I notice I can t access my site, I think I left it on the internal IP address after I did a clen up yesterday.... Shouldn t drink before I play with me server, even if it's French, red, 1995 and golden medal.... Serves me right!

I'll put this back on tonight when I arrive at 7Pm, in the meantime it might come back on theexternal IP but not sure, I'll have to study that.

When using the navitron Tube for boiling water, can you tell me exactly the one to choose (glass only or complete?)

Cheers,

Stef

sjaglin

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »

20:30 Sunday PM all should be in order now...

Stef

sjaglin

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »

About Trackers...

In order to boil water and cook some nice organic charlotte potatoes, I kept moving the cooker towards the sun... So I was thinking about making a tracker.

This morning the sun was out, great weather for the day, But I had to work... Nevermind, I did leave the cooker in the garden, facing sun with 4 big potatoes in it. I left at 9:30, the cooker was then in the sun but in the right direction (SOuth) for later in the day.

I came back at 5:00 and the potatoes are cooked, just right, not dry nor crunchy, just right.

So I will leave the tracker for now and just put the cooker at the right place and leave it all day...

Stef.

Ivan
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »

The beauty of the solar tubes is that they don't need a tracker, and work well in overcast conditions from April-September. Although your oven is capable of higher temperatures if it is tracked, and if it isn't overcast.

You need only the glass tube. You don't want the complete unit (which has copper heatpipe). There's also a cork stopper with a small hole for steam and a metal spring clip available....although I'm not sure if they're on the website.

The 47mm glass tube holds approx 1.4litres of water and the 58mm tube holds either 2.2 or 2.6litres (I think it's the latter).
sjaglin

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »

Excellent, I'll wait for pay day and get a bigger one, might as well...

Thanks Ivan!

Stef

Greenbeast

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »

i really like the idea of preheating my evening cooking water by using a tube.

can i remove the heat pipe from a standard tube?
I'm just about to finish up a 36 tube system, which should more than provide during summer (i've gone for antman CH Heat Dump)
But it might be that i could remove a tube or two to use to preheat cooking water during summer and also benefit the overheating situation in the solar system.
Ivan
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:14 AM »

Yes, just remove the heatpipe and the aluminium bits, and store them somewhere safe.

We use ours almost every day between March and September. Not only are you saving energy (0.15kWh each time you use it, and that's before you count the wasted heat in heating a kettle full of water you don't need or use), but you have instantly available hot water - which can shave 10minutes off cooking time as you don't have to wait for the water to come to the boil. Watch out on sunny days, if it's left to its own devices for several hours, it can boil half the water away.

In my head, I have a plan for a solar pan....take a normal pan and insulate it (not sure how to achieve that); the base of the pan has, say 4 heatpipe ports brazed into it, so it's heated using 4 solar tubes.
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »

how about  a sort of water boat and put the normal pan in that to cook the food (you could then super insulated the boat, use the hot water as a transfer medium, plus it would mean you can use and normal pan/ caserole dish and it would be very easy to removed cood food from in that way.

You could posibly do away with the copper heat pipe all together, although I am not sure how you could get it to seal to the boat? Maybe some 120 downpipe tube silicone sealanted to the top of the tube and bottom of the boat that way you could then angle the tube at 60?

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: