navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bread baking temperature  (Read 18629 times)
daftlad

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 12:10:27 AM »

Klaus
whats wrong with flaccid damp un crusty bread, its the way we like it here in the UK, the steam baked white sliced loaf is an institution!
sjaglin
I am not sudjesting your loaf is any of those things, it looks perfectly formed and very tasty.
laters
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:59:59 AM by daftlad » Logged

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
dhaslam

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 01:21:42 AM »

Steam ovens which became popular in the 70s can make crusty white bread without burning the top as the older dry heat ovens did.    I worked for a bakery back then and the white sliced loaves sold like hot cakes when the new ovens were installed.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Eleanor

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 01:45:12 AM »

Guy, what's the problem with driving? I planned to mix the dough in my breadmaker (lazy), which allows the dough to rise for an hour or so. Then I normally knock it back, form into rolls, and leave it for around 2hours to rise again. I'd planned to do this second stage in the car journey (car will be nice and warm), especially if it sits in the sun. Will the movement/vibration cause problems?

Well it is a lot of food miles just for a loaf of bread. I suppose you will expect us to believe that you will be doing something more useful when you get there than solar cooking a loaf  flyingpig
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:48:54 AM by Eleanor » Logged

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
KLD

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »

... white sliced loaf is an institution!
You could always put Marmite on  horror
sjaglin

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »

Hi,

We went biking all day today but before I left I did have time to put a loaf in my solar oven, the result was really nice! Half of the 600g loaf is already gone!

The temperature when we left at 10 am was 135C in the oven but it probably went further ...

Ivan, any luck with yours??

Stef

Ivan
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »

I'm sorry to say I haven't had time to build mine. I've built one previously (the oven is blowing around the grounds of Navitron, minus it's front door). The last one was limited to around 165C, due to bottleneck of heat transfer from heatpipes to air (and the rate of hot air loss from non-sealing door being faster). The new version will use part of a manifold, with a plate welded to the top to increase surface area and to give a hot floor to the oven (not sure if that's a good or bad thing).

It's on my list of things to do, but getting my PV array up and running is the highest priority at the moment.
sjaglin

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »

Ummm, yummee thanks for the info on your future oven, I have seen you are very busy on your roof and yes it's the priority, the sun will soon be at its highest and you will be electrons to all your neighbourhood!

Stef,

linux

Ivan
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »

I've probably posted them previously, but here's some pics of my solar oven attempt from 2 or 3  years ago. The main heatloss was from a badly fitting front door. I wanted it to be easily opened and closed, and see-through, but the kingspan wasn't cut particularly carefully, and there were gaps between door and oven.

* P3080037_15%.JPG (34.58 KB, 257x344 - viewed 634 times.)

* P3080039_15%.JPG (27.4 KB, 344x257 - viewed 1291 times.)
sjaglin

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 07:39:57 AM »

Waooow that's grand! What temperature did you reach? It would be cool to have shoter tubes set up around the door like a flower!

I think I have found the best recipe for my bread, I now add a bit of lemon juice and pine nuts on the top, then I bake it in a rectangular tray with another black tray on the top : it give a nice brown a crusty top!

Stef

linux

SteveH

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »

Hm, maybe it's just me being German, but bread got to have a decent crumb and crust. While I'm sure the crumb can be baked at relatively low temps, for the crust you want it hot.

My father used to work in a bakery... he always told me that gas ovens gave a crustier loaf... he said it was a direct result of the extra moisture produced by combustion of the gas.

He got the same results by putting a small dish of water in the bottom of an electric oven.

Not tried it myself, so it could be apocryphal...

Preveli, South Crete.
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:03 AM »

Seems to work for me as well so not sure how apocryphal it is?

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
SteveH

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »

Nice to know it's true & works... Unfortunately he's pegged it so I can't apologise in person... Lips Sealed

Preveli, South Crete.
Greenbeast

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »

I used to work in a bakery, we had electric ovens, but they contained automatic steamers that were primarily used on split tin and farmhouse loafs and french sticks... to give the crunchy crust.
I believe a bowl of water in an domestic electric oven will achieve a similar effect
KLD

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »

In my own trails the "bowl of water on the bottom of the electric oven" didn't work too well, it seemed to me that the rate of evaporation isn't high enough to yield a saturated atmosphere. So I now pour a little water directly into the oven immediately after putting the bread in, and again after a few minutes. Don't know whether the oven can stand this treatment in the long run, though.
Anybody tried to build a clay oven?

Klaus

Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »

I put in water from a just boiled kettle.

The fact that it's a fan oven helps.

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: