navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archimedean screw micro turbine?  (Read 15955 times)
Flamethrower_

« on: April 10, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »

I have been studying the use of Archimedean screw turbines, specifically for low head uses, does any one on here know how small a scale they could be manufactured to be able to generate a useful amount of electricity.Huh

Most of the ones that I have seen on the web seem to be rather on the large size (but very fish friendly) Cheesy
petertc

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:03:12 AM »

i seem to remember seeing from Germany this was a wind turbine but its design could also be used underwater as well.

it was not so much of a screw but it had 3 blades that were horizontal and  twisted with bearings at both ends , there was no maximum speed that t would run at so it was immune from the stronger gusts of wind, but i liked the fact that it's design could also be used under water
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »

Hi

Did a fast google in German

Did not find much  either  only that they getting more popular, most are big units or small ones for explanation or museums

these ones start under 1 KW

http://www.kmt-schalast.de/wasser.html

Here a bid info http://www.ritz-atro.de/2006/downloads/Wasserkraft_GB.pdf

Billi
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:09:48 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Shay

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »

The Ritz-atro Archimedes Screw Turbine that Billi supplied the link to is distributed in Ireland by Ei-Hydro Ltd and Wind Water Solar Ltd.
They claim a 25-40 year design life and can operate for low heads of 1m to 10m.
langstroth2

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »

We camped at River Dart country park last year (Dartmoor), they had an Archimedes screw design turbine running there. Can't remember how many KW it was generating - although if you google it one web site says it's a 48KW installation. I recall the video they had of fish swimming along the screw while it was turning.

http://www.riverdart.co.uk/home/about-us.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:01:32 PM by langstroth2 » Logged
Smiles

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

Hallidays Hydropower install hydro screw turbines throughout the UK

They have some very useful info on their website.

www.Hallidayshydropower.com

Good Luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: