navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delayed Action Float Valves for pumped water tanks  (Read 23006 times)
Tigger

« on: April 14, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »

Folks,

I've just been sent this link that may be of some use to some people constructing rainwater harvesting systems.  It's a range of delayed action float valves that cope well with pumped systems.

http://www.keraflo.co.uk/index_kf.aspx

Apologies if 'advertising' breaks the rules, I'll happily remove the link........

Ian.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »

Thanks for posting the link. I need one as my RWH suffers from the described problems with standard ball valves of dribble and consequent pump hunting - which I've only 'solved' so far by fitting a timer on the pump. This looks like a much better solution.

Volunteer moderator
petertc

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »

Yes it's good stuff we used these once or twice when i was working for a company doing private water supply,

Just sit down with a stiff drink before looking at the prices. i seem to remember a 3/4" bsp valve being in the £200 -£300 this was 10 years ago may be different now
daftlad

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »

What is a delayed action float valve and more to the point why?
i would have thought a couple of these connected to a latching relay arangement would do the trick.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/float-switch-230v-2m-cable/path/hoses-couplers-valves-filters
Sorry for asking daft questions.
laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
petertc

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »

These  floats are normally used on sites where the tank has no power to it.

Say you have a storage tank that is feed by a bore hole and want a mains backup to this tank the delayed action valve is on the mains water feed so if the bore hole brakes down the the mains water kicks in. This is a simple way of doing things with out needing mains power.

On another note we also found a company that made a self powered chemical doser  for adding chlorine to water system to keep the system clean, this was at a normal drinking water level.

Once it was wet up all you had to was top up the chemical reservoir as it was powered by the water flowing into the doser before the water went in to the reservoir.

Some of the on farms systems had the storage tank ( reservoir) up on a hill away form the rest of the system , the bore hole pump may be on a timer and pressure switch so the pump started at various set times of the day and when the ball valve closed this stopped the pump and the water going from the reservoir was all fed by gravity  so no other running costs.

These gravity systems are the best one to have as if you bore hole pump stops working you have some storage so you have a little time to fix things also you are not effected by power cuts.
otherwise you are looking a pumping systems with redundancy in them and possibly a generator for power cuts and the animals on a famr can drink a lot of water!
Man Of Kent

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

Hi, Delayed Action Valve. thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of buying one.  I checked up on the ‘Keraflo’ one mentioned above by Tigger, they cost an arm and a leg.  CHECK THIS ONE OUT, Delay Action Float Valve on E-Bay at a fraction of the cost.  Hope the link works

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Delay-Action-Float-Valve-Ideal-in-mains-storage-tanks-with-pump-systems-/141867843424?hash=item2107fb7f60:g:Kh4AAOSwZG9WiUK4
fatbob

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:37 PM »

Looks interesting.  How well does it work - have you tried one ?  or are you the seller  whistlie
I do wonder about pumping against standard valves and how much stress it puts on the motor when they're half closed.

Rainwater enthusiast, maybe solar PV one day
Stochengberge

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »

Yes it's good stuff we used these once or twice when i was working for a company doing private water supply,

Just sit down with a stiff drink before looking at the prices. i seem to remember a 3/4" bsp valve being in the £200 -£300 this was 10 years ago may be different now

As the age old saying goes, "you pays your money, you take your choice". As someone that deals with this sort of thing through work, but having no alliance to them, all I can really say is that they are pretty dammed good. That's why they are used extensively in critical applications, like hospitals...

Having said that when I clock on the link I am taken to the Keraflovsite, but with a 404 page error...

SB.

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: