navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydrocaps and Water caps  (Read 2078 times)
stephend

« on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:34 AM »

I've heard of hydrocaps before as both Hoppecke and Rolls offer them with the batteries, but recently came across Water caps which also reduce the need to top up batteries but don't actually include any catalyst to recombine hydrogen with oxygen: http://store.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html

What are your opinions on these products, do they work as advertised?  Is it safe to install inverters and other electrical equipment in the same room as the batteries if these products are in use?

Billy
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

Hi, I have Rolls with Hydro Caps.  Have been in use for over two years now.  I have only topped up once and that was only because I was getting paranoid because I thought they should have used at least a little water!

No leaks from the tops and no apparent gas leaks, no smells at all even when bubbling away merrily.  I reckon they are good.

I have them in my engine room with all the other electrical stuff, inverter, isolation transformer, blah, blah but I do have good natural ventilation and fans if necessary (never needed them).  My ordinary engine start batteries are in there as well.  It keeps everything nice and dry and aired.

Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: