navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Integrating Battery/Inverter 240V and Grid 240V  (Read 3748 times)
colin

« on: June 15, 2006, 12:36:38 PM »

I have a small (200W) Navitron wind gen up and running which runs my workshop lights well.
However the wind doesn't blow all the time - especially this last week!
I know how to wire in a 240V relay to switch the lights back to grid mains when the batteries get low, BUT - how can I do this legally.
Next step is a bigger gen to run the fridge/freezer etc. on a seperate 'green' circuit - so auto switch over will be even more important.
Grid-tie inverters are not an option at the moment, much too expensive - besides, why 'give' away juice you've spent time and effort generating!
Anyone know if there any certified/approved ways that this can be done when I get a bigger wind generator?
Looks like anything you do these days has to be part L, P, X, Y or Z approved........
Colin

Ivan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:02:48 AM »

Hi Colin,

I cannot answer your question I am afraid. I would suggest talking to an electrician, as you point out, everything has to comply with x, y, z these days, so the electrician is the best person to advice. I would be wary of auto-switching gear, or battery-inverter based systems on fridge/freezers in case of a problem - as this will invariably cause problems!

Grid tie is the best option, but way to expensive at the moment. You can sell the surplus, so you are not necessarily giving it away. Keep an eye on our site for details of the mini wind grid tie system (would be ideal for your 200W turbine if it is the 24v model). This is likely to work out a fair bit cheaper than batteries/relays/changeover switch etc required for battery based/mains backup circuits.

Ivan
colin

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 12:08:50 PM »

Cheers Ivan,
I agree that grid-tie is the way, but only when the price comes down to an acceptable level.
Most electricians (and I've talked to quite a few - I used to be one) haven't a clue - except for the basic stuff.

Anyone with any knowledge sells it.

If you use a 10A 240V change-over relay, with a 240V coil powered by the inverter output, when the inverter drops out, the relay switches back to the mains input.
The lights flicker, but a fridge/freezer won't notice, you may need to re-set the alarm clock/radio tho'.
The trick is to make the inverter stay off unit the battery voltage becomes healthy again - some inverters have hysteresis built into their battery voltage sensors.
Or you can rig up an external circuit to sense the battery state and control the inverter's 'standby control' input.

But of course its a waste of time, if its not DTI/Local Government/XYZ or CE approved you can't legally do it.............

Yes mine is the 24V Gen, so I'll look forward to your new developments - any idea on time scales?
Let me know if you want a test site and someone who knows the difference between AC/DC, Live and Neutral etc... Wink
Colin
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:27:24 AM »

Hi Colin,

I had an email from the designer a couple of days ago. He told me the grid-tie inverter will be available to send to me for testing in around 3-4weeks. Once I have seen and tested myself, I will get a quantity in for sales. I have high hopes for this unit. Probably not too competitive for large systems, but absolutely ideal for small scale wind turbines. I like the idea of a grid tie system for similar costs to a proper battery based system.

Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: