navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petrol Generator Problems  (Read 4517 times)
doubletap

« on: April 19, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

Hi, I've been running my portable genny, a briggs and Stratton Power Gen 3400 for a 3 hours a day for the past 2 weeks while I rebuild my old diesel one. I;ve had no probs with it until today when it kept blowing my one lamp and made the TV smoke!!!!!!!!!!. I checked every thing with another genny and all was ok so, its got to be the Power Gen. Would it be the voltage regulator? If so, how do I get at it?

Cheers, Spud
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »

Is it possibly a governor problem? Have you got the choke on? If the engine is running faster, it'll produce a higher voltage.
doubletap

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »

Hi Ivan, no choke but like I've said its been running fine up until now.

Thanks, Spud
Amy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:02:23 PM »

Check the voltage and maybe adjust the throttle once its warmed up?

Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »

Doubletap, are you running it under a decent load? We have been very fortunate with ours (GMC) as it has run everything we have tried. Just remembered, the digital radio doesn't like it. We have found that the sine wave output varies considerably with the load. Can you get hold of an oscilloscope? It may be just that your diesel unit has a better regulated output.

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Justme

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:34:41 PM »

Some smaller cheaper gennies run better with a better smoother output if you have a 100 watt bulb on whilst using it. Now I know that will eat into the power available & they wont be available for much longer but it does work.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
doubletap

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:19 AM »

Hi, thanks all. The small petrol one was running great for about a year, maybe only 40hrs a week. Guess I'll have to take it to the local workshop and get it tested.

Thanks anyway.

Spud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: