navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biomass Plant Room Ventilation  (Read 7652 times)
Grim1

« on: May 03, 2009, 09:08:38 PM »

Can anyone please advise on the correct ventilation requirement for biomass boilers in the UK? For commercial gas boilers (if we are aloud to mention them here) the rate is given in BS6644 as 4cm2 low level and 2cm2 high level of free area. When replacing gas or oil systems with biomass plus some gas backup and peak load input I have not found a standard that contains any clear guidance.
desperate
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »

You need to check the makers installation instructions for both boilers and add them together, its going to be way more than the 4 and 2 cm2 that you refer to.

Desperate

PS welcome Smiley by the way, someone on this forum will be able to refer you to the correct sizes/references etc
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:23:09 PM by desperate » Logged
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »

I would have thought that most good biomass boilers are room-sealed, in which case the ventilation is just for safety.
desperate
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »

Room sealed gas boilers in comprtments require 5cm2/kw output both high and low level according to my book. I dont know about biomass boiler but it would be about the same wouldn.t it? Also Grim1 says with some gas back up, so both together is even more I would say.

DesperATE
aira93

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:32 AM »

Biomass, is a renewable energy source, biological material derived from living, or recently living organisms, such as wood, waste, and alcohol fuels. So, I guess it doesn't need a ventilation?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:02:00 AM by martin » Logged
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »

aira93, you are, presumably, a renewable energy source, biological material derived from living, or recently living organisms, such as wood, waste, and alcohol fuels.  Don't you need ventilation?
CeeBee

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »

Biomass, is a renewable energy source, biological material derived from living, or recently living organisms, such as wood, waste, and alcohol fuels. So, I guess it doesn't need a ventilation?

A masterful post. The first sentence of the definition of "Biomass" pasted from wikipedia, and a possible mis-understanding of what "ventilation" is. Martin - I think you might just be right in your 'spam' suspicion :-) Looks like the writer must have been tasked to find all threads with "ventilation" in the subject, attempt to write a reply, and add spam. Indeed just Google for aira93 ventilation: evidently a member of many forums, and an expert in the ventilation of crankcases, incubators, and even beehives, etc!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:27:54 PM by CeeBee » Logged

martin

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

they're out in force today! Roll Eyes
Someone lifted a stone somewhere! Wink

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: