navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heating with a wood burner  (Read 4657 times)
craig

« on: May 07, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »

hi

we have 2 static caravans which are joined together and cladded with timber, it is quite open plan, and has 3 bedrooms , ours being the furthest from the fire.the under side is insulated  but it has the standard roof.we have mains but its through an inverter with batt banks which are  topped up by solar and wind and a back up genny

heating is a wood burner ,10 kw rings a bell, we also have an eco fan on the stove which seems to spread the heat more,
we have lived like this for a year with no probs even in the depth of a mid wales winter but it can get cold in our bedroom .
as we have another baby due in september im looking for ideas for putting more heat into the bedroom to get the average temperature up.

ideas are.... i make another wood burner for the bedroom but it will take up room and use more wood.

small oil fire in bedroom? guaranteed heat but then need to get oil....

my fav option is that the current wood burner has a back boiler which i could fit, i could then run  a radiator to the room and maybe to the other childrens rooms. the downside is we do not have mains for the pump so could it be done with no pump? using gravity?
i understand i need a header tank etc but would like some confirmation that i could make the rads work before trying to do it?

i would be grateful to hear if anyone has any ideas of what i can do??

thanks

craig
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »

Tell us more about the eco fan because im thinking about a similar situation i had in a long bungalow, with the fire at one end in the living room but no form of heating in the 2 end beds and bathroom at the opposite end.

I seriously considered putting a grill in the ceiling above the fire and running a duct the length of the loft and dropping the air down into the end rooms

Would that be suitable??

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
dhaslam

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »

You  could run radiators by gravity.  The pipes need to be larger than a pumped system but 28mm should be enough.   The radiators should have no valves an have the inputs at the top and outlets at the bottom.   They will also have to be higher than the boiler.  A header tank will be needed.    The radiators should be connected using a balanced return layout to even out the heat to all the radiators but you could use a larger one at the end as well.    There is a scouts log cabin near here that has a similar setup using a large back boiler and it is used by groups all  the year round, the fire also heats the water for showers.         

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Billy
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »

Yep, no problem with gravity.  The recommended rise is at least 2cm per horizontal metre.  Don't go too mad otherwise the last radiator will be on the ceiling!  I have used 11/4" steel pipe and the boiler taps were 1".  Used a loop system with the rads tee'd in in 3/4" rather than a single pipe system.

The feed and return pipes should have a diameter of the  boiler pipes for at least 80% of their length according to my stove manual.

It did make a big difference to our comfort when I fitted the boiler, now the ends of the barge are warm instead of just the living room.
steve1717

500watt turbine /180 watt solar /400amp batt/24vol

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »

my  chimney on the woodburner is insulated ..and we use a fan that sucks out the air and pumps it to other rooms in the house via the loft ..as heat rises ..the higher u you can extract the hot air the better ..but the easiest way for you would be to attach the fan through a vent in the floor run it under the van to the room required through an insulated air pipe ..they are usually 6 to 8 inches wide ..its a cheap and quick solution ..maybbe behind the boiler you could put the vent in the floor ..the fans are also thermostat controlled so come on as soon as the air reaches a certain temperature..
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »

Have you thought about extra insulation?

Surrounding the vans with straw bales, covered with a tarp to keep the worst of the rain off them works wonders.

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
Gavferg

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »

why not have a pumped system. my morso panther 7kw stove heats a cylinder by gravity until up to temp then the pump kicks in send the hot water to 2 big radiators. Seems to work well as the cylinder acts like a heat store. pipe work is in 22mm because of the pump.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: