navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battery filling  (Read 1532 times)
knighty

« on: May 08, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »

I've bought an electric forklift at work... the batteries seam to be pretty good... they were almost flat (by the meter on the dash) when we got it but we left them charging overnight - came in the next morning and they were fully charged and the charger had gone into trickle mode as it should....

a week later, maybe moved 20 pallets and it's showing as about 90% power... so not bad at all Smiley

the only thing is, I'd like to check to see if the batteries need filling.... they look to have some sort of automatic filling system attached - so they can all be filled at once ?   I've googled everything I can think of... but it;s a bit of a minefield.... 100's of companies trying to sell things / wanting to send people out to check/fill them... not not much for DIY....

I've taken some photos.....

any ideas anyone

can I just connect up a bottle of distilled water to the hose connection and pour it in ?
Billy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

Well that is the theory.  The individual cells have a simple level sensor in them if they are like the ones I had, but whether they are all working now....  I guess you should really be checking all the units to see what's what.  Don't really want to fill em right up or the SG will be all over the place.  That's why I didn't go for auto fill on my new lot, hydro caps instead.

Justme

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »

I think thats for an automatic / sensored system & to just pour water in will poss over fill them. Pull each filler out & check the level. You will also then see if the fillers have a limiter to stop over filling.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »

Hey knighty

I have the same similar  system  and after hefty googleing  i found the make of my automatic water filling device on my forkliftbattery  

So got a 5 litre container of distilled water  standing about 2 meter higher then my battery  and connected to the one inlet

Result: was 4 cells got totally overfilled  Tongue, so  floatswitch in the cell was wrong or out of order

Now i just take all the cabs of all cells  look into the cell to find out how high the level is  and if needed refill each cell  about 15 mm over the leadplates  takes about 15-30 min

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
knighty

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »

ok... so I'll check them individually... thanks for that guys.... I could have made a right mess there !!!

also... should have asked earlier.... should I keep them fully charged ?

the battery LED on the dash is showing about 80% full after 2 weeks.... I know it's bad to short cycle the charging... - setting it charging during tea breaks etc.... but appart from that ?

it won't be used that much.....should I just charge it once a fortnight once it's down to 80% ish ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: