navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: batterys etc ..again  (Read 7175 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »

I do equalize  but manually and just switch of the heating device controlled by the internal inverter relay

But for your information , if you intend to get a windturbine  it can be a bid tricky  to synchronise  PV and wind

In my setup the dumpload element  of the windturbine (even not producing a lot ) was dumping PV-Power  at high voltage 

But still the PV chargecontroller would have liked to put more power in the battery .... Not a big thing  cause we off griders are always happy when battery is nearly full  Grin , but still .... something to think of

I wouldnot worry too much about Inverter standby power usage or efficiency ( of good branches ), if you consider to get a PV panel of 2.5 kw for your requirements  -  it looks that you will produce about double  of that what you need  over a year , and hope you have an extra consumer in summer  Cool like these small heat pumps  http://www.ochsner.com/warmwasser.htm

Billi

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:58:37 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
daftlad

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »

I guess the wind dump load controller could also be the dump load for the solar? rather than using the inverter or outback high voltage contact?
I know i am going a little overboard with the pv, the reason being that i want the house to be as near zero carbon as possible. The sunbird http://sunbird.jrc.it/pvgis/apps/pvest.php  website calculated that 2.5 kw of panels would give me enough leccy for 10 out of 12 months (maybe a little optimistic in november and february?)
The house will be passive solar so summer spare energy may just have to be wasted or an electric bike/ scooter/ car?
well it looks like this thread has changed my mind on some things.......GOOD....... what would be the point otherwise?
Tell me more about getting a wind turbine to work with solar, or point me in the direction of info
cheers again

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Joules
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »

The 3.3w is for the 24 volt model, the 12volt version only draws 1.9w waiting for a load to be switched on (its fully active, not in stand-by).   I need to do more work finding where the losses are in my system, I can't believe I had to put 2kw back in....  Oh well.

If I had the choice I would opt for 48 volt, especially with large loads.  We just couldn't afford the batteries.  So bought two of the best we could afford (Rolls 6v 400ah) and will tailor our energy uses to match them, i.e once a week run the bread maker, only use low power PC's for Internet use, and see how our system grows. (800w Pv)

Joules
steve1717

500watt turbine /180 watt solar /400amp batt/24vol

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »

just out of interest how much power does the average  inverter use when on standby ?..if like me you dont have a huge amount of pv is it worth turning the inverter of when its not being used .ie during daylight hours ..ta steve g
Justme

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »

Mine uses 0.5 amps (12v) whilst in standby.
It uses about 3 amps when on & powering a small load (of about 0.5 amps).
So over heads on small loads is high.

Justme

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
steve1717

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »

thanks for that.. so for me it would be worth turning off whenever possible ..especially if charging just with pv on windless days ..thanks
daftlad

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 10:50:51 PM »

thanks for that.. so for me it would be worth turning off whenever possible ..especially if charging just with pv on windless days ..thanks
Steve,
I have been looking into this for a while as you can probably tell by the dumb a55 questions.
The better inverters have better efficiency and have the standby function (like the victron)
Smaller inverters have smaller tickover currents when they have a small load, so i will be going with 2 inverters, 1 for lights laptop etc and 1 for occasional big stuff (power tools)
So in this case bigger is not always better.
Only my conclusions based on no experience what so ever, so feel free to rubbish them if any of you want.
The problem is if they have a standby function they tend not to publish the tickover power usage.
You understand what i mean by tickover and standby? tickover= small load standby means shut down but ready for action.
laters

steve1717

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »

mmm i am realy new to this ..so all help is realy appreciated and comments no matter what they be ..that sounds wise to me ..i have a 500watt inverter at present and it seems to do the job fine ..but i will be adding to it as time and money become available ..so do you just connect both inverters to the same battery bank ,and just switch them over when the need arises ?i am only running tv and all the lights at present and dumping any excess to the immersion heater ..but would like to add fridges and freezers to this as the battery bank grows ...steve g
daftlad

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »

My inverter have a intelligent relay inbuilt and i programmed it to start a heater at let me say 29 Volt so i can utilize the PV power even the battery is full   . Then after a set time or Voltage set point the inverter closes the relay/stops the heater and PV power flows in the battery until again reaches 29 volt again and heater starts again  so on ....

But the outback solar controller has that as well inbuilt to control a relay and bypass the battery to another device to avoid wasting PV power when battery is full

Billi

Evening
I was just having another read of this thread and the instruction book for the outback controller and have a question.
What sort of relay would you use to send 25 or 50 amps DC to an immersion heater element?
thanks everyone
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:54:48 AM by daftlad » Logged

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 01:17:48 AM »

you try hard and fair , but my short therm memory is gone , or in other words  i am happy , facepalm

but find these questions i did ask here a year ago or two

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2763

Still the Victron or others do that more easy  Cool  i think/know   but up to you
please donot forget that i am a learner  bike as well now/and for ever

Billi

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:25:14 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
steve1717

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »

is there a rule of thumb for checking batterys ..ie..that batterys are ok ..i have been offered loads ...and wondered if i found 2 sets of batterys that have been standing at rest and i checked the voltage of them ..if they are closely matched ie one measured 13.3 and another 13.5v i have put them to one side ..what is the minimum voltage for a good battery ..thanks steve g
timbo

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »

Evening
I was just having another read of this thread and the instruction book for the outback controller and have a question.
What sort of relay would you use to send 25 or 50 amps DC to an immersion heater element?
thanks everyone

[/quote]

Vehicle starter solenoids will switch 100's of amps, I wouldn't use them at 240V but 50DC should be fine I'm sure.

new http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/battconns/startsol.php or from the scrapyard.

timbo

4m^2 wet solar panel, wood stoves. 10kW roof mount P.V. grid connected.
6kW Kingspan turbine expected soon.
daftlad

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 01:02:43 AM »

Vehicle starter solenoids will switch 100's of amps, I wouldn't use them at 240V but 50DC should be fine I'm sure.

new http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/battconns/startsol.php or from the scrapyard.

timbo
Hi timbo
I had a thought about them (cheap fom the scrap yard)
The thing with dumping from a wind turbine is that the relay is required to switch very often, maybe several times a minute.
A starter relay is not designed to work like that, maybe a couple of times a day.
If the relay failed closed then it would also be connecting the batteries to the dump load, I think this would kill the batteries if it was left un attended.
Thanks for the Idea.
laters

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 09:52:44 AM »

this one perhaps

http://www.power-io.com/products/hdd.htm

or these perhaps http://www.msc-ge.com/frame/en/371-www.html

billi

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: