navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reconditioning forklift batteries,  (Read 10290 times)
peter999

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »

(just in case you dont know the C rate is an expression of the charge rate as a fraction of battery capacity. The accepted norm is between 10C & 20C)

unless they are AGM then it upto C*4   yes upto 4 time battery capcity if you can find a charger powerfull enough

I thought for sealed (ie no breather pipe fitted) wet cell it was 8C or am once again 10 years behide the times.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »

whatever the C rate is, it is taking much too long,so last night i swopped controllers and let the low batts sit overnight without the intensive care,surprisingly they have held their 16 volts, hmmmmmmmm.the new controller,a very very posh effort which has solar and wind input and a sleep mode inverter which could never wake up when it was needed,was put on to top up my good 24v bank.it dont have gauges and clocks but it really does bung in the charge,i dont know if it has a clicking relay like the grey box effort,so will hook up the poor relations later today,
   i will be getting a good 24 volt charger next week which does all kinds of fantastic things to tired batteries,so i am told. thank you both for your helpfull info,it is good to come on here and get help when i need it. meanwhile the wind is really doing its job.
                                   biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Justme

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 12:43:09 PM »

unless they are AGM then it upto C*4   yes upto 4 time battery capcity if you can find a charger powerfull enough

I thought for sealed (ie no breather pipe fitted) wet cell it was 8C or am once again 10 years behide the times.

AGM

Can they? The highest quoted charge I can find (first google page lol) is C1 & then only to 80-90% SOC {State Of Charge} after that the last few % still take up to 40% of the total charge time (which is why they get undercharged & why bat recharging time is not just a factor of DOD {Depth Of Discharge} & charger amps capacity)

Any way the OP was about flooded lead acid cells not AGM which I still personally feel are not good for off grid use as they are even more sensitive to under & over charging & sulphating up if not full charged after EACH cycle which when using solar & wind is hard to do (water would be ok as its a constant).

Sealed

should be lower to stop gassing not higher.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »

my good wife has gone and ordered a book on reconditioning batteries,its coming alll the way from the states, so im gonna get very tecnical very shortly, meanwhile the low batts are staying low and the wind has died for the first time in 3 days,it will be up and running before morning.strange how one gets to know the cycle, the new controller doesent click but the needle on the voltmeter jumps passed the 30 volts a bit too much to often,
           biff,

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Justme

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »

Is that the eBay book that give the ingredients to self administed a de sulphator to the cells?

That info is freely available on the net if you want to do it. By all accounts its tec correct but in actual use it does not work.

Justme

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 08:36:54 PM »

not sure,dont think she found it on ebay, but she says its really good and full of usfull info,she says its coming from the states where they know everything,
     however,,, however,,i have stopped trying to charge the low life, gonna wait till the 24 volt charger arrives and press the miracle mode,i hope its capable of being powered by my 5kva geni.
                  biff

sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »

not sure,dont think she found it on ebay, but she says its really good and full of usfull info,she says its coming from the states where they know everything,

dear lord protect us from helpful wives....!  Wink

;-)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »

ahhhh ,,but she means well,
                      who else would put up with my tinkering,puttering and futtering,and ,and  she gives me  tomato:helpfull hints,
    those lazy batts were taking so long to get up,she said " the tomatoes ,peppers and cu,s take time,so why not your batteries,"
                              biff, bike

Paul and Rona

. Northumbria .

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »

Hi All,
       Saw some comments about Battery Desulfration, hope no one minds if i comment ?.
I have been Playing around with Battery Desulfrators, for a few years now.
Electronic Recovery of Cells can work, but only if the Cell is actually Sulfrated.
If a cell's plates have shed its electrode material it's a no hoper,
as are most shorted circuited cell's.
Gell Cell's also seem to fail Electronic recovery. Best results occur with wet lead acid Cell's
 Commercial units, or Chargers that have some form of Desulfration function
built in are not too good either, (EMC) rules limit the amount of interference they can produce!!!
Desulfators by the very nature of how they work, produce a very spikey back EMF voltage pulse
at approx  1Khz, this can really cobble up Local radio reception. A good home built unit will work BUT
and its a big BUT !! Recovery is Slow, a big battery can take a month or more to recover.
The large Back emf voltage pulse slowly breaks down the bonding of the lead sulfate crystals,
until they return into suspention..
Best Regards Paul....

Living the quiet life in the
"People's Republic Of Northumbria"
Paul and Rona

. Northumbria .

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »

Thought the following may Interest Some..

http://home.comcast.net/~ddenhardt201263/desulfator/lowpower.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~ddenhardt201263/desulfator/n_channel_schem.gif

Regards Paul

Living the quiet life in the
"People's Republic Of Northumbria"
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »

thank you for the info,
             i will get busy on that, bike

scott

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »

modern GEL/AGM batteries
are best bet these days
made to 6000ah with 5/20 years life
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »

Mine "Modern Gel Battery " lasted one.5 year  and the British Manufacturer refused Guaranty  or only to my costs to ship them back  ( pretty tough for an of grid home to sent all the batteries back )  Roll Eyes

Batteries 24 volt 500 ah  at C 100 about  2000 euro  , next battery  working fine since 2 years  a second hand forklift one  3 years old  1700 ah at C10   ( so about 2000 ah at C100  i estimate) so four times bigger   for 1500 euro   Grin

Some Salespersons surley have a problem with second hand

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Justme

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »

Why use GEL for off grid? You have to charge at lower voltages & for longer as you cant top them up. Off griders need a faster recharge time as the sun or wind might not be out for long & IF you need to run the genny you need to keep the run time down to save fuel.

The newer bat types do hold some promise but the factor is to high still.

Justme

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »

ello all,
i got the complete kit,forklift battery reconditioning toolkit,
      got a letter from amerikay yesterday.all about reconditioning forklift batts,one a4 page with ,one sentence about what you have to do,all you need is a table spoon,(for eating tables) some bicarbonate soda,(for rumbly tummies),loads of distilled water,(rain)hopefully the acid kind  horror:and bobs yer aunt,
        im not so sure if i should share all this important info with you people, but being the generous soul that i am,,go on,,copy it all down,
      now i did not get any kind of tables,about battery size and amounts of this and that,so there is guesswork involved.
         going back to when i was 8yrs old,i wrote santa one hell of a begging letter,i never got a reply at least i got a letter from amerikay facepalm
      its not impossible,it might just work. whistlie
                                               biff,

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: