navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricking a GTI  (Read 3293 times)
guydewdney

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »

I just used 2kw bar heaters as my dump loads - taking care to disable the overheat and thermostat functions Wink I have the aurora, and it seems fine.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »

What type of turbine are you getting?

Has it got slip rings to bring the power from the turbine down the pole? My 1 K.W. Chinese turbine was a complete disaster with the slip rings.
The slip rings were too small for the current load.
The spring tension on the carbon brushes was nowhere near strong enough.
The flexible copper cable directly fitted to the carbon of the brush was far too small.

Any problems with the brushes / slip rings and you have no means of stopping the turbine in low speed winds, high speed winds just wait for the bits to come off.

Unless you are very happy with the slip rings / brushes do away with them and modify the device with a cable direct to ground level.

Grid inverters.

The best on the market are Aurora.

I have been there with
Windy Boy. Rating  0 out of 10
Master Volt Rating  2 out of 10
Aurora Rating 10 out of 10

The Aurora dump load is there to protect the Aurora inverter from receiving to much voltage. And is purely for protecting the inverter electronics. It is a bit sad that even they did not get it right. The voltage to the inverter is not removed at 530 volts, all that happens is the power to the dump load is increased to stop the voltage rising.

What you need is a separate device that diverts power to a dump load as soon as the grid inverter is not connected and the voltage from the turbine is slightly greater than the maximum voltage entered into the inverter software. For satisfying the requirements of G83 the turbine has to sit there ready for three minuets before it connects to the grid. The turbine needs to be protected during all the periods when the grid inverter is not connected to the grid. If the turbine blades are bigger than the alternator electrical rating to make use of lower wind speed for start up you have no means of slowing the blades down in high winds by electrical dump loads. If you have no device fitted to manually pull the turbine out of the wind the blades do come off.

Chinese dump loads. I have several examples here. If I stuck to the rating system above they would all fit in the region of about. Rating Ė30 out of 10
They would probably be better used as plant pots.

Not wishing to be toooo negative but best if you donít have the same learning curve as other turbine owners. All things can be made reliable but donít assume the turbine supplier got it right or knows what they are doing.

Regards

Alan

A Navitron 1kw jobby, which is most definetely cheap and chinese.

However it is the Mk2 version, so hopefully some stuff has been changed since your hub failure. I had intended to take it to pieces and mod it before it got on top of the mast. whistlie

interesting to see real world ratings of different inverters. All three brands are on the investigate list.

As you can see I am definitely in early stages still of system design. I completely agree with the issue of seperating out dump loads using a diversion load controller, however I also think several might be useful.

With regards braking, I again completely agree, however until I get my 'hands on' I can't say what I am going to do, but either a (hydraulic) mechanical brake or a turn it out of the wind device are both on the cards. Combined with a progressive elctromechanical load for slowing.

Its all theory until I get going...

I appreciate that you say I should learn from the mistakes of others, and I am trying to, I wouldn't be spending hours a night scouring this forum and others for tid-bits of useful info. However I have decided to start with something cheap and cheerful, so when I do know what I am doing, I can go down the big bucks route, and that seems to be what everybody before me has done!  Which kinda implies that wind power can't be done on the cheap!!!!!

I don't think you're being negative at all btw, I have gleaned a lot from your previous posts in other threads going back over a few years!

Just rerember though your excitement at getting your first ever wind generator! Thats where I am at now! Grin

;-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: