navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does lightning strike twice?  (Read 3942 times)
daftlad

« on: June 22, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »

It does.
Last week our phone lines got hit and blew stuff up.
We all share broad band as one of us is nocturnal.
So the damage
1 sky box
4 computers
1 modem
1 network switch
1 ADSL splitter
The funny thing is the only telephone line in the area that did work after the bang was the one the with the broadband on it!  grrrrr
Some years ago we got a strike that blew up a cordless phone (it had a path to earth through the power adaptor)
So
Is there any decent protection i could have connected to save the computers/ modems etc.
I did have one of those protecting 4 way splitter things but some one must have half inched it, i have been looking for it for months and no sign. (would it have saved the computer, taking into account it came through the phone line?)
laters

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »

the surge protector/Arrestors mostly come with plug throughs for phone lines and network nowadays, but They wouldn't stop lightening.

;-)
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »

I have an ADSL filter with a surge protector.

As sleepybubble says, if your line is actually hit by lighting everything's likely to be toast.  On the other hand, a surge protector might well do some good if it's only induced currents from a nearby strike - which seems much more likely to me.
daftlad

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »

The black smoke and tracking accross the circuit board would inply a direct hit, and the fact that BT were here for a couple of days re wiring stuff.
The French have a "Parafoudre telephonique" which has an earth connection and is obligatoire in certain areas of the country.
Anyone know what it is?
laters

Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »

I lost 3 modems on my first desktop before i got a spark arrestor

The surge obviously came down the wire but even with a numbers game of probabilities, im sure lightening does strike twice

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
myozone

Lizard peninsula - Cornwall

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:03:02 AM »

Know someone when we lived in France got struck twice on following nights - split the gable end and set a bed on fire second time!
Also someone who had 7 fax machines blown up - back in the UK now and we still always unplug EVERTHING in a storm.

'Hear it fear it - see it flee it !'

Dave

'Don't live life by the perforations' !
daftlad

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »

Know someone when we lived in France got struck twice on following nights - split the gable end and set a bed on fire second time!
Also someone who had 7 fax machines blown up - back in the UK now and we still always unplug EVERTHING in a storm.

'Hear it fear it - see it flee it !'

Dave
It was the FIRST crack of lightning that did it, I wondered what the bang inside the room was, thought it may have come through the radio, but no, grrrrr
laters

RichardKB

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »

I have seen in a publication a method of minimising the effects of a strike on the telephone lines.

The standard BT surge protected box is useless against lightning as the surge device is not connected to GND but across the phone line, so any hit will just cause both lines to rise in voltage high enough to blow any item connected to the phone line.

The modification I read about was to connect 2 gas discharge protection devices 1 to each conductor of the phone line and to a sustantial GND/Earth. It said the substantial GND should ideally br the mains bonding earth at the supply entrance to the house or a very long earth stake in suitable ground.

The surge protectors you get in extention leads may stop spikes etc but will be useless against lightning.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: