navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small house WBS / Solar system  (Read 45242 times)
KLD

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2009, 01:35:52 PM »

Happy Birthday, Stuart! And what a beautiful day you've picked.

Klaus
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »

thanks Klaus, only wish i was making use of the sun today!

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
KLD

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »

Sheltered corner, deck chair, tea pot = passive solar  Cool
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:40 PM »

Apparently i need a new meter box as i have fixed it securely to the wall, and then sealed the screws with silicon to make it air tight as per instructions on the box its self.
United utilities say i can do that, they suggest using expandy foam to fix it! great 40 odd notes wasted! looked at the regs and they say air tight like it is!
This usual or am i am up against stupidity?  banghead

British Gas also sent them the wrong plans so they want to charge me more even though they surveyed it  fume
There going to be some angry phone calls tomorrow!

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated

Nr. Tow Law
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »

Stu
have some friends with a house up in Kielder who were quoted 56 for connection to the main electricity. Turned out to be c 54,000! They are off grid I think still!  Good luck with British Gas..

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »

Yes, just writing a response asking how this foam is going to fix to the wall with a cavity liner between it and the wall, and let condensation escape!
will phone manufacturer tomorrow too!  stir

Nr. Tow Law
KLD

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »

Stu

Lucky for me my plumber just about stopped me when I had the drill out the fix the box the way you did. Now it just sits there more or less jammed between bricks. When the meter installer came around, he wasn't concerned at all about lack of fixing. 

Do you really think they are concerned about condensation in your wall?   faint

Klaus
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »

well its in with crazy foam now, scrapes off the box fine so looks neat. doesn't come off your hands though!

Hired a breaker this morning and had a good size hole next to the box a hour later so they could mole from the street.
That reduced the 'extra' cost too.
So its done and I guess its worth it for the house value increase. That leaves 3 in the street that are still funny shaped coal powered.

Nr. Tow Law
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2009, 03:35:46 AM »

Projects getting there did another drawing just to update the physical layout, and keep me right when am soldering.

Cheers for the advice again Lightfoot

* stus design ver11.jpg (125.08 KB, 827x1061 - viewed 528 times.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:18:21 AM by Stuart » Logged

Nr. Tow Law
Brandon

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »

I would personally loose the heating flow from the top of your primary tank, and keep that as solely DHW reserve.

changing the world, one roof at a time.

Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
skilful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
alternatives.
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »

Sorry brandon thought i had replied... gremlins. the top one is so i can set the gasser on auto while im away to keep the house warm/dry. Well that's the idea.

edit.

plus heat dump   angel

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:22:58 PM by Stuart » Logged

Nr. Tow Law
cjw

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »

Hi, I'm looking at doing something with a similar set-up except I'm going for a 250L thermal store in a new build with solar/wbs/lpg back-up.  So thanks for posting

Is the gas boiler circulation gravity based for the hot water supply?  I'm guessing that it's an existing installation as I read that new installations should be pumped.

Also how do you balance the flow on the CH pump between the gas boiler and the tank configuration when the top tank manual valve is open? Unless I'm mistaken the CH pump will pull some water from both the gas boiler and the primary tank, so when you're away you'll end up heating both the DHW and the CH.  Given that the head difference between the primary store and the gas boiler, you might end up pumping a higher proportion from the cold primary store.

Are you using the TMV on the CH to maintain the stratification in the thermal store?

I liked looking at the drawing, it will be interesting to see it working with both the pumps operational. 

I'll post my updated design once I've transferred it from paper to autocad.

Thanks,
Chris
dhaslam

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »

In a new build  you should allow space for  the store within the heated part of the  building and also  it could be a bit bigger than 250 litres.   Solar needs about 50 litres of its own at the bottom of the cylinder  and if you are using a buffer area for heating and also space for DHW  coil each section is  very small.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
cjw

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »

I'm not looking for a lot of heat storage, just a buffering arrangement at the moment.  If I'm happy with everything then I'll add an additional tank, in a similar manner to stuart.  My tanks have to be mounted upstairs due to the design of the downstairs and location of the WBS. Therefore capacity is limited by the loading on the floor joists.

I should also add that I'm not sure how my wife will handle the WBS and it'll be better from the LPG point of view to compromise with the size of the thermal store. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:52:07 AM by cjw » Logged
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »

Chris glad you may have found some ideas from the thread.
Would be good to see your solution.
There have been plenty of times when i thought i should have just bought a Space heating WBS. But the temporary stove I'm using isn't getting the heat upstairs as i thought it would. Obviously i should have one tank if i wasn't doing it on the cheap! The pipes are all to the cupboard at the moment have been a bit distracted lately.

Gas boiler is a new condensing type to may had to be fooled into running a system on gravity pressure, It has its own pump internally.
the CH system should only take the water it needs before the TMV modulates the flow. Yes the top valve idea doesn't quite do what i want it to, have had a few ideas for it and not decided on the best yet. Ver 12 will no doubt be along later.

Nr. Tow Law
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: