navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East\West PV  (Read 2713 times)
alank

« on: July 03, 2009, 12:11:34 AM »

Just an idea really - but for people with an East\West roof, what about a pivoting PV setup on the apex of the roof that flipped from east to west at midday?
sjaglin

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 06:52:30 AM »

Hi,

Yes I did think about it, the main issue is that one of the strong points of PV is its durability, ie you put them on the roof and forget about it for 25 years. The main reason is because there are no moving parts. The only weak element is the inverter which can pack up before, I advise to get a 10 years + guaranty.

East West is not that bad, I have 2.1 kWp on the East side of my roof (30 degrees pitch) and so far this year we have produced 950 kWh so I hope to make 1700 kWh in the year, I think a South facing should do about 2000kWh, the difference is not that big I think,

Stef

Greenbeast

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »

also you would probably fall foul of planning regulations
in most areas panels (pv and thermal) are considered permitted development but one of the conditions is that they can't extend beyond the height of the roof
Flamethrower_

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Stef,

So you think that PV is still a viable choice if you do not have a south facing roof ?

My house is east/west and I have been thinking that it would'nt be worth doing !

But you may have changed my mind!  toujour!
XONE

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »

Just imagine thousands of pounds wroth of equipment blowing away in the wind!!
renewablejohn

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »

Why not have glass panels either side the roof apex and then mount the solar panel horizontally below it.  Attach two reflective roller blinds to the glass panels and by correct timing of you roller blind you have a simple tracker system totally protected from the wind and the rain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: