navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low power Motherboard  (Read 16397 times)
daftlad

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »

Thanks Andy
I had found that one and here is another
http://guru3.net/flexy/
These two sites both go into installing Linux in a very small cf card which seems to make it more complicated but if you can cut through the initial complication it is just a standard install.
So I tried to install Debian and everything seemed to go well (better than xubuntu) the installer fired up and took me right through the installation precess and at the end....... nothing, It actually just switches itself off (well the monitor anyway)
It says "unable to load system description tables", then starts going on about fans and thermal stuff, a couple of pages later it switches the monitor off, grrrrr.
I  recon if I do a manual install and just install a couple of bits at a time, It will work?
I also recon I can install xubuntu using the alternate installer because it is the same as the Debian installer.
There is a long term support version of xubuntu out next month so I will wait till then before I download that.
I may have another fiddle with Debian, I will let you know how I get on.
ta ta (a total Linux numptey)

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
wookey

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »

Then (after a minute or two) it comes up with a couple of pages of errors finishing with "[16.095575] IO APIC resources could not be found"
Then it comes up with some other stuff (which I don't think is relevant) with finally "(initramfs) _ "
I can type help and it comes up with a list of commands.

All those lines starting with [16.095575] are the kernel boot information. I don't think it's all 'errors'. It's probably mostly fine. If you can run commands then it's probably working (what prompt do you get, a '#'?) Apparently an APIC is the interrupt controller, which is pretty important. I see nothing on either of the two install exmaple web pages saying you have to do anything special to get your APIC recognised so it probably doesn't matter. If you posted the boot output in full (e.g. to http://pastebin.ca/) then we could say something more convincing.

On to your Debian install attempt (more my area of expertise):
The debian installer always reboots at the end, but it should have said it was going to do that. Which vintage were you installing? The example online is for Debian v4.0 (etch). I'd recommend v5.0 (lenny) at the moment as a recent stable release. Do you have a hard drive installed in the machine to install to (as opposed to the DOM mentioned on the websites, which could make things complicated)?

What happens if you take the install media out (are you using a USB drive?) and boot it up? You should get some Debian, but I assume you aren't?

For this sort of machine I'd always recommend Debian rather than Ubuntu. More reliable over the long term, and the snazzy desktop things that Ubuntu enables are not really relevant. Debian stable releases are trypically supported for about 3 years, but upgrading is so slick that you generally do it exactly once for each machine then just upgrade forever. Of course if you really want to run exactly the same software for 5 years then the Ubuntu LTS releases are a good option (in practice something usually happens after about 2 years that makes you want to update).

It says "unable to load system description tables", then starts going on about fans and thermal stuff, a couple of pages later it switches the monitor off, grrrrr.
I  recon if I do a manual install and just install a couple of bits at a time, It will work?

Do you get a lot of blue and red text screens asking questions about which bit of install to do next? or does it not get that far? The install goes through a series of steps (starting with asking what language you want to install in). It can run in graphics, curses or plain text modes - defaulting to curses. Which did you choose? If the graphics mode works then you know that linux graphics _can_ work on this machine.

You can switch virtual terminals during the install to get more details on what is going on (alt-f1, alt-f2, alt-f3 etc). And a prompt to fix things up. I'd try Debian lenny netinst if you haven't already. And yes you can navigate during the install process to select which steps to do (it enforces some order because you can;t format before you've partitioned, and so on). You get more control if you pick the advanced install (but also a lot more questions - the default is usually a good choice if you don't know).

Wookey
daftlad

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »

Cheers Mr Wookey,  It seems like you are getting the gist of what I am on about.
The Xubuntu seems to go wrong very early on in the install, and comes up with the prompt "(initramfs) _", I think it is the graphical installer that is the problem. BECAUSE....
The Debian installer runs ALL the way through, with no problems, With all the blue screens full of questions, it gets to the point when it asks what sort of installation (desktop, print server, laptop etc) and then starts installing applications over the internet (takes bloody hours).
Then it shuts down, then when I switch it on it asks me which sort of debian I want to start (a blue screen), then after a bit of running stuff
QUOTE "It says "unable to load system description tables", then starts going on about fans and thermal stuff, a couple of pages later it switches the monitor off" UNQUOTE.
I recon if I install less stuff (as per website suggested by Andy) it will work? my feelings are that I am nearly there.
Thanks everyone.
ta ta
PS my back is hurting so there may be a delay. (I can use my laptop with a bad back but sitting at a desk is not so easy)

Andyr

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 04:11:10 PM »

Daftlad,
          are you using a laptop harddrive and cd drive, if so are you powering them from the onboard floppy power plug? I've just got the same box for myself and ordered a 40 to 44 pin adapter to give it a go. So I'm very interested on how yours progresses before I go through the same pain barrier. Noticed this on ebay which might do as a cheap solid state hard drive.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370187548674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:40:03 PM by Andyr » Logged

4kw PV, Dunsley stove, MHRV
daftlad

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »

Andy,
Good, someone to share my pain.....!
I am waiting for a 40 t0 44 ide adaptor to arrive, In the meantime I am using a 3.5 inch hard drive and a cd (both on a seperate psu)
I will be using a 2.5 inch 30 gb drive mounted internally when the adapror arrives, (fitting it will be a fun job)
If I use some kind of solid state drive I think I would get a cf card adaptor, I think it would work out cheaper and more flexable.
keep me posted.
ta ta

Andyr

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »

Daftlad,
          try enabling the power management in the bios  (del button on powerup), as the symptoms seem to point to acpi not functioning correctly.

Andy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:10:20 PM by Andyr » Logged

daftlad

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 02:09:28 AM »

I had another go at installing debian this evening and it didn't go well  fume
I enabled power management in the BIOS as Andy suggested.
This time I tried the Debian graphical installer.
It all went well until it got to the point of re booting the system, it is at that point that it comes up with the message "IO APIC resources could not be allocated" AGAIN.
So no matter what I do it comes up with this..... SO
I type the error message into google and it seems that VIA motherboards with intel chipsets have problems with some distributions.
Some older distributions work.
There is a menu on the xubuntu setup that allows you to select "NOAPIC" but that doesn't help.
I guess the next idea is to try FEDORA as some suggest that may work?
ta ta

stephend

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:05 AM »

You could try adding the boot option "noapic" by following the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Change%20Boot%20Options%20Temporarily%20For%20An%20Existing%20Installation

if noapic doesn't work, then try: "noapic noioapic"

daftlad

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 11:15:02 PM »

stephend
I tied all of them.
It's really annoying, debian installs fine, it just doesn't run.
I will try fedora sometime.
ta ta

Andyr

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

Daftlad,
          not had much time to play but... puppy linux 4.3 will run on my neoware eon , booting from cd and running in memory (128mb needed). I did have a problem getting it to work with the DOC (disc on chip) installed, but when removed it worked better. If you try puppy linux then when booting select x-versa for the video. The puppy web site says it runs in main memory which is a plus if you are going to use a CF card as a disc, as these only have a limited number of writes to them before they die a death.

Andy

daftlad

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »

Andy, have an applaud.
YES..... YES.... YEEEEEEESSSSSS.
This message is coming to you from a neoware thin client running puppy linux.
One of my problems was a slightly faulty cd drive grrrrr, maybe xubuntu will work now I have changed the drive?
AND
A minor miracle was performed here last night, I managed to install my epson scanner using terminal on xubuntu which involved converting a driver into a debian driver.
SO I may be on my way to becoming a windows free environment.
I now have my 2.5 to 3.5 inch hard drive converter so that is the next job
ta ta

Andyr

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »

Daftlad Good to hear it works...... did you have to remove the DOC ? I'd be interested to know if it works with xubuntu. I've just ordered a 2gb IDE disk on module at 14. So maybe more progress in a couple of weeks before looking at 1-wire stuff.

Andy

daftlad

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »

I have tries xubuntu and failed, to be honest I didn't try very hard because
1    I like the look of puppy linux
2    Puppy linux isn't exactly fast so I think putting xubuntu on the neoware would be VERY slow,
Maybe I will try again sometime.
I have had a go at installing puppy onto the hard drive and I am struggling, The problem is GRUB (I think), it all looks OK but when I select linux it comes up with "error 15 file not found"
I am sure I will figure this out  Grin
Andy
I did remove the DOC, I had to to free up the IDE socket for the CD and hard drive.
I have also got tied up installing xubuntu on another computer so progress is slow.
ta ta

Andyr

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »

Daftlad,
          try this...http://www.ehow.com/how_5063994_install-puppy-linux-hard-drive.html

daftlad

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »

Thanks again Andy
I now have a silent computer that boots off a 2.5 inch hard drive.
I did the things in your link (I think), then I did it again and now it works  Grin
Next job is to fit the hard drive in the case (that should be fun)  wackoold
I even managed to edit GRUB because it wasn't automatically booting, the 30 second timeout had a hash in front of it?
ta ta

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: