navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'High' voltage off grid inverter?  (Read 1584 times)
guydewdney

« on: July 10, 2009, 08:19:36 AM »

My grid tie inverter runs best at 200 - 300 V DC input. So I have built my generator around this.

When I get a power cut, I am thinking that I could switch over to an off grid inverter, cut myself off the mains, and run a few basic bits and bobs (freezers mainly..) direct from the off grid inverter, and dump the excess as heat / hot water etc etc.

All simple enough - but I can't seem to see any inverters that take anything greater than 48V if they are off-grid - or am I being stupid?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
stephend

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »

You're confusing off-grid inverter/chargers with charge controllers.  Typical off-grid systems have the PV panels connected to a DC charge controller (like the outback MX60, FM60 or FM80), this then connects to the batteries.  The inverter/charger then connects the batteries to your AC loads.  The highest PV panel voltages supported by charge controllers is 140V by the outbacks and 200V by the Apollo Solar T80. 

Similar situation discussed here: http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6834.0.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: