navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indoor Solar Oven?  (Read 8521 times)
Paulh_Boats

« on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »

The BBC program "Bang Goes the Theory"  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p8469/Bang_Goes_the_Theory_03_12_2009/) managed to cook a chicken using 2 filament bulbs - to demonstrate how much energy was wasted.

They used a box of 6in thick polystyrene, foil lined with 2 bulbs inside. After 90 minutes the chicken was cooked and edible.

So I thought.......build such a box with a copper coil/heat sink inside. Pipe in solar hot water which can get to 93C in February and beyond boiling in Summer. With good insulation all you need to do is get the food hot, then balance heat loss.
The power available from a solar thermal panel is huge compared to 2 light bulbs, so the idea is quiet achievable.

Bacteria is killed at 66C, 82C in a chicken thigh is considered safe. Solar can easily achieve those temperatures.

My other idea is a very well insulated electric slow cooker - 150 Watts of PV might be enough.

Mad or what?  Grin

cheers
Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
daftlad

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

Why are "normal" ovens so poor? Typically they are 2.2 kw, they take half an hour to warm up and they would take not far off 90 minutes to cook a chicken?
I wonder how hot the oven on Bang goes the theory got?
good luck Paul
ta ta

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
breezy

Omnibus bendibus

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »

My other idea is a very well insulated electric slow cooker - 150 Watts of PV might be enough.

Mad or what?  Grin

cheers
Paul

I've just finished eating my dinner, a chicken chasseur (made with free range chicken), cooked in an ageing Russell Hobbs slow cooker - it uses 50W at max (old tech bimetallic thermostat in the base), so I think you could get away with a lot less than 150W of PV.

This message handcrafted from 100% recycled electrons. Caution: May contain nuts
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »

Mad or what?  Grin

cheers
Paul

I've just finished eating my dinner, a chicken chasseur (made with free range chicken), cooked in an ageing Russell Hobbs slow cooker - it uses 50W at max (old tech bimetallic thermostat in the base), so I think you could get away with a lot less than 150W of PV.

I just measured our modern Breville slow cooker at 154W on Lo and 169W on Hi

I guess its all about "Insulation, insulation and insulation!"

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
breezy

Omnibus bendibus

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »

By co-incidence, I've been musing over a relevant idea over the last few days. I found a small Pyrex casserole dish (estimate 1.5 litres) with lid. I have a small mountain of PU foam offcuts and a couple of rolls of foil tape. I'd been considering making up a modern equivalent of the "hay box" cooker. The second iteration (of the idea) was a 12V slow cooker powered by 2/3 halogen spots controlled by a simple (PIC based??) circuit. I say 12V because the bulbs are cheap and easy to source, and, as we know, most of their output is given to heat, especially when under-driven (by a PWM circuit, maybe?).

I can't find my temp probe at the moment but my recollection is that slow cookers don't get much hotter than about 75 or 80 C

Have you measured yours?

This message handcrafted from 100% recycled electrons. Caution: May contain nuts
Ivan
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:20:26 AM »

Paul,

You mean like this? I can't remember the temperature we reached - around 120C I think. The main problem was a big leak on the front door as the insulation was cut with a handsaw, and the front face wasn't particularly flat. With a bit of effort, this oven should be capable of reaching 180C.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:23:08 AM by Ivan » Logged
tony.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »

what about using a old microwave as a enclosure?
my local dump has a few!

tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: