navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not quite cooking, but?  (Read 5841 times)
Jonzjob

« on: July 31, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »

In a way it is cooking, but weeds!

We have about 60 or so yards of driveway which is covered with fine gravel, a real pain, but it was there when we bought the house. We get a fair number of weeds grow on that drive and have tried several things including a flame gun and a hoe. I had read on another forum that boiling water kills weeds, or any plants I suppose and had an idea about using a spare 58mm tube I have to heat the water. When it is boiling I tried pouring it straight from the tube but found 2 downsides. 1. burnt fingers and 2. it was just like trying to pick up things with one of those crane thingies in the glass boxes at funfairs and nigh on impossible to hit the weed you wanted. Anyway, our metal watering can was used because I thought that it wou;d melt a plakky one?

The outcome is that each day I manage to boil off about a couple of yards of weeds, more if I didn't spend time in the swimming pool (well it is 30 degC plus here at the moment!) and you can tell if you got everything the following day. It really works and the total cost is a little time and the water.

Well that's it for now, must get a beer and light the barbyQ!! Grin Grin

Ivan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »

Great application! In fact, I've done a bit, accidentally - sometimes my tube, which leans against the greenhouse, boils over and the boiling water kills the lawn where it lands (oops!). Should have thought of using it on our weeds. It's certainly a lot more environmentally friendly than using toxic herbicides.

BTW, to avoid burning, hold the tube as if you have crab's pincers - the hot water may/will trickle down the lower edge of the tube, so if your fingers aren't there, they won't get burnt. There's definitely a knack to pouring - upend much more slowly than you'd anticipate.
shiela_robins

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »

ahahaha. at least you dont use harmful chemicals to kill your weeds.. when i saw weed earlier i thought...weed...

and then cooking weed...  Grin

Billy
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »

"Yard of ale" springs to mind.   facepalm

Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: