navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reconditioning forklift batteries,  (Read 10413 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »

im a happy solar lad,
             i gave my 500watt turnip the sack and plopped a pair of 165watt x 24volt on the roof rack of my transit,with the controller located inside and a 48volt hawker at the back bumper and watched the volts climb,i have to say that these panels from stone solar really do the business,at one time these panels were registering 51 volts x 9.5 amps,,,wow,,,, now,however 50volts registers at only 2amps,so they must be pretty full,tomorrrow they will have been charging this pack for exactly a week, the weather here has been a mixture of rain,wind and only a couple of good days sun.
                    biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Paul and Rona

. Northumbria .

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »

Hi Biff,
         Just read about your "info" from Amerika, and I do have some reservations about its validity !!!.
Bicarb of Soda is Normally used to Neutralize acid !!!. So it does make on wonder why you would wish to add it to your electrolite inside the cell's ?. If memory serves me Garages used, and may still do, keep keep bicarb to hand to deal with Acid spills from batterys..

Now if you want to put stuff in your cells, i think i would use (epsoms salts) adding it is belived to reduce the internal cell resistance, thus extending the life of a failing cell, mind you never tryed this myself.

Regards Paul @ Rona (Relocating to the Highlands)

Living the quiet life in the
"People's Republic Of Northumbria"
tony.
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »

this months elektor electronics magazine has a circuit to build a a desulphator(spelling)

tony
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »

most humble appologs paul an rona,
                    it is indeedy epsom salts,i wuz terribly tired,knew it had something to do with tummy upset, banghead ,,however the good news is i have procured a gallon of distilled water and 4kgs of epsom salts,gotta find something to heat the mix and then i am in business,
        the guy did swear by this mix,money back guarantee, flyingpig,, might work, i have just the battery waiting for it. horror
                                     biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Paul and Rona

. Northumbria .

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »

Hi Biff,
I would be interested in the results, of your tests, I wonder how much "Tummy Cure" your going to add to each cell.
As mentioned in my previous post it is known that Epsoms salts will reduce the internal resistance of the cell, BUT the unknown factor is whats the long term effect... BUT heyho, whats the worry, the cell was failing anyway.

Best of Luck with your tests 

Paul.

Living the quiet life in the
"People's Republic Of Northumbria"
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »

hi paul,
     i will let you all know how i get on with my chemistry class,i have to find a pot to bring it upto 150f while i mix 10 tablespoons of the salts into a quart of distilled water,i wonder could i use a stainless steel cooking pot( my good wife,s idea) ,its possible i will need quite a few quarts of this mix.
        ooops here i am letting go these precious secrets, horror
 on a more serious note,i have been charging a 48volt forklift battery with two 165watt x 24volt solar world solar panels,i was amazed to see the amps reading 9.5 and the voltage reading 51 which means these panels were delivering 484.5watt,furthere more this solar was only supposed to carry 300watt(its a solar hybrid wind controller but just been used for the solar at present).it would seem i have the wrong understanding of this rating.one thing is clear, it takes a week for the battery to stay up overnight at 51volts.
                             biff.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: