navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Draining thermal store  (Read 2690 times)
camillitech

« on: August 04, 2009, 09:25:56 AM »

Morning chaps,

this weeks project is to replace the immersion heater element in my mates thermal store with a 24v one that will act as a dump for the solar/hydro that I fitted for him. I'm thinking that it's just a case of draining it down into a suitable container ( I have a 700lt bowser ) refilling it with an electric pump then bleeding if ness. Any tips, help, advice gratefully accepted. Well apart from call in a plumber as it's here http://www.uniquescotland.com/raasayschool/index.html so not even an option.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
peter999

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »

From experance drain as LITTLE water out of the tank before cracking the heater boss, as to keep as much strengh/structural stability in the tank. you would be surprized how easy it is to twist and collasp an empty copper water tank!!

good luck Peter
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »

Thanks Peter,

I have to say that I'm a little concerned about this issue as the old unit looks like it's been weeping slightly for years, hopefully this is NOT because of some loss of integrity in the metal around the thread insert  Shocked

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »

I'm working in Broadford over the next week or two. If the ferry man can get me onto the ferry I'd be willing to help... I'm getting into Uig at about half five tomorrow afternoon. Have any number of tips for removing immersion heaters.
Box spanner and long pole is the first start, if it isn't going to come off straight away, then drill a row of holes across the boss until it virtually collapses on itself... Dont be tempted to use a hammer.

;-)
sleepybubble

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »

Paul,

Just missed you this evening if you were working on the striven, I pulled up at 7 just as the boat left the quay, I bet your not on here for another few months, ought to just post a comment on yer blog... in fact I'll do that.

ta ra

;-)
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »

Hi Sleepy,

Me finished last night so I've spent the day fitting a new back boiler in my own stove, though I did manage a trip over to Torran to look at the dump load job for tomorrow. It's not going to be quite as straight forward as I'd anticipated, the new 24v element has a much larger boss which means I'm going to have to remove quite a bit of foam and re position a stop tap :-( Hopefully I'll get it finished cos we're off to http://www.tartanheartfestival.co.uk/ on Friday and I'm putting 5 pigs away on Monday  Cry

We really must meet up, Paul

sleepybubble

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:07:45 PM »

seems like most of the staff here are off to Belladrum this weekend.... I'll catch you one day. I was only going to offer you an immersion heater box spanner and say hello... If I take a day off in the next week I might pop over as I am curious to see this famous road with my own feet.

;-)
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:24 PM »

seems like most of the staff here are off to Belladrum this weekend.... I'll catch you one day. I was only going to offer you an immersion heater box spanner and say hello... If I take a day off in the next week I might pop over as I am curious to see this famous road with my own feet.

Hi Sleepy,

you should get your ar5e over to Bella, I might even be able to help out on the ticket front, as the 'Peatbog Faeries' and 'Grousebeater Soundsystem' have to be seen to be believed :-)

PS we should be on the Co Op  car park in Broadford at around 9:45 am on Friday stocking up with 'Morgans spiced rum', Magners cider and red wine in preparation for the fest :-)

Cheers, paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: