navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: forklift battery query  (Read 3696 times)
AlanM

« on: August 19, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »

Hi,
 have found a "chloride motive" forklift battery for sale. It is new but has been sitting on a pallet for 3 years unused. Will it be knackered or is it likely to have been stored uncharged?

Any thoughts,

Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »

I guess its the same one Stephan found as well

Esteemed gentlemen (and ladies),

I have a used forklift battery in my sights, it's never been used and is still strapped to the pallet that it arrived on.  It's been sat there for 3 years.  Now, first thing I thought of was sulfation due to no charge in 3 years, but if it just arrived on the pallet, perhaps it never had a charge in the first place(?).
The owner will get back to me on whether it has electrolyte in it already or not.  If it DOES have electrolyte, does that mean that it will inevitably be sulfated?

from here http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8301.0.html

I have no idea  how good this battery is .... ask the seller for voltage reading  ...as a start

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
AlanM

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »

Hi billi,
yes i think it is the same one. The seller has said the batteries are full, of electrolyte, so i guess they have sat for 3 years discharged. Terminal condition probably?
i note that it did not sell the first time at 500 and it has been relisted at 400.

Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »

I drove around  in my area a lot  and found  forklift Batteries in backyards , sad to see with my big child eyes open , but dead batteries

ask for a Volt reading

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
AlanM

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »

Hi billi,
The battery is a 48v pack. What would  be  the normal voltage associated with this, as regards, discharged, low or ok?

Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:04:26 PM »

My 24 volt battery i bought had 25.5 volt  when it arrived a week later , too much now in detail to explain

AlanM

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »

OK, should be looking at about 50plus volts. will see if the seller will take a reading.
Alan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »

perhaps it was 25.1 volt  Grin  and volt does not say all

* bat.jpg (109.53 KB, 652x941 - viewed 493 times.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:19:15 PM by billi » Logged

AlanM

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »

Have e-mailed seller. will see if he responds with a reading.
thanks billi,
 alan
stephend

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:18:05 AM »

Hi Alan,

I asked this same question here and on an american off-grid forum.  Those chaps unanimously thought it would be duff because of sulfation.  The chap mentioned that he'd throw in a battery charger with it, so he may be able to charge it first, then give you the voltage reading.  There's another chap selling forklift bats on ebay under a classified ad, he has used Hoppecke for a similar price and brand new 900ah for 93 quid per cell.  IMO better to get a used one that's been used, rather than one that's been sitting around sulfating.

AlanM

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »

Have been told that the seller is waiting for an electrician to visit to take a reading. Seems like a bit of a no-hoper.

Hi Stephen, do you have the ad for the hoppecke cells.  could you pm to me?

Alan
knighty

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »

mmm, maybe someone on here is local to him, and so could check up on them for you ?

(as long as you trust them not to butt in and buy them first)
AlanM

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:50 PM »

Stephen, thanks for the link. have asked for some info and waiting for a reply. Looks to be a better bet than the unused pack.

Knighty, yes that is a possibility,  but this pack is probably past its best

Alan
Outtasight

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 01:26:47 AM »

If it's been filled but not charged for 3 years it's a gonner.  A voltage reading won't tell you much... Like my last dead UPS battery that read fine but went splat as soon as there was a 5 second power outage... the voltage collapsed due to a dead cell as soon as you put a load on it.  If you can get 48V while drawing 1/10th of it's capacity rating in Amperes then it's a go'er.

At least measure the voltage open circuit and then watch what happens when you put load on it (even a string of chained 21W car brake light bulbs will do - you'll need 4 for a 48V battery giving you a 84W load) or even easier... take a common 3kW mains kettle and plug it into the battery as a load (still use a bit of water to keep the element cool).  A 3kW 240V mains heater element has a DC resistance of about 20 Ohms at room temperature and so will draw about 2.4A at 48V or 115W.  With such a modest load you shouldn't see the voltage really change much between open circuit and loaded for a massive fork lift battery.

A fully charged battery will read 2.13V per cell so a 48V pack should read 51.2V at rest.  With a couple of Amps load it shouldn't budge by more than a couple of tenths.  If it goes down by some multiple of 2V then you've got high resistance cells that are kaput in the string (like my UPS battery that collapsed from 12.6V to 10.5V with a 10W halogen bulb as a test load).

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »

Whats the Chemistry? Most of our Chloride motive batteries are lead acid, but i have a few packs of Ni-Cd too.
I will say even after years of being discharged, you can bring maybe 80% of the cells back to life, they will never be as good but usable.
As outtasight says put a good load on them and measure the cell voltage, poorly cells will be lower (check electrolyte) Bad cells will show negative volts as they go resistive, there probably swollen up and warm esp in service.
you can tell a cell is happy if there pulling big amps on charge too .

Its important the packs are kept charged, repeated full discharging like the driver leaving the lights on all night is bad! 

below 110v worth Smiley

* IMG_0925 copy.jpg (98.84 KB, 986x739 - viewed 402 times.)

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: