navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: how often do you turn your PC off
it's on 24/7 - 9 (21.4%)
turn it off when I go to bed - 7 (16.7%)
turn it off when I go out - 10 (23.8%)
turn it off as soon as I walk away - 16 (38.1%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how often do you turn your PC off ?  (Read 7694 times)
knighty

« on: August 27, 2009, 01:26:22 AM »

following on from a toping in a geeky type forum I talk on...

how often do you turn your PC off / how much is it on ?

and how powerful is your PSU ?

on the other forum... over 90% of us never turn them off (screens go off automatically etc..)
the vast majority of people also disabled sleep/hibernate etc... so only screens/hard drives power down

personally... my PC is on 24/7/365 -- hard drives(7) and screens(2) turn off after 20 min of inactivity - but PC keeps going as normal, no sleep etc...
and my power supply is 1700Watts

currently at 274hours uptime !  (time since last shutdown or restart)

I'm assuming most people here are the total opposite ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:28:37 AM by knighty » Logged
daftlad

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »

I switch mine off when I am not with it but I must admit it is often on when I am doing other things (just in case I want to google something) but mine uses 17 to 18 watts.
I do have a couple of desktops which can be fired up for printing scanning etc but that is not often.
knighty... How would you make your setup use less leccy?
ta ta
ps with a 1700 watt psu your computer room must stay pretty toasty?

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
kristen

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27:19 AM »

I think the PCs are the main source of power drain here Sad

They are all on 24/7 (well, the kids turn their's off when not in use) but all the "work" ones are on. (5 PCs, server, router, couple of switches, VOIP phone system)

However, I have 4-way blocks by each computer that all the peripherals are plugged into, and those are turned off when the computer is not in use.  I recommend that as, as I'm sure you know, "screens(2) turn off after 20 min of inactivity" they ain't off, and will still be consuming electricity.

It comes back to a useful saying that has helped my household remember to turn such things off:

Is the electricity company a charity?  Are the bosses so poorly paid, and their bonuses so small, that they need our donations?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:58:46 AM by kristen » Logged
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »

We have 3 PCs here - 2 desktops and a laptop.  They are all off overnight.  Laptop is on most of the day. One desktop is a venerable Dell 386/20 that Angie uses for business so is on maybe 1/2 hour a day. (For many years this machine was also used as a fax gateway and ran 24/7 without skipping a beat. It is still the 'fastest' PC here despite the fact it is still running DOS 5 and Windows 3.1).

Haven't measured consumption on them yet, may get around to it.

Volunteer moderator
dhaslam

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »

The big problem with PCs is that when you add a lot of peripherals they don't always start up properly. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
billt

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »

PCs are a significant drain here as well. 2 are on continuously, one runs Homeseer, an automation program and consumes 12w the other is a file server, weather station recorder, camera recorder and PBX and consumes about 70w. Unfortunately they are fed from a UPS which adds another 80w or so.

The other computers are usually only on when needed and either put themselves to sleep or are switched off when not in use.
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »

Where do I start....

One laptop is only on when used, but its used about 6 hours out of 24 consumtion about 17w, another laptop is on 24/7 used as my desktop machine but with maximum hibernation settings. PC (250w) in the living room is only on when used as media machine, gets about 7 hours a day use by us and the kids. Mac in the shed is only on when I'm working in there, dont know the power draw on that one. NLSU2 in the attic with attached USB caddy is on 24/7 total draw about 20w.

Unused machines 2 desktop workstations previously a clustered server, 3 other laptops and a tower server. Plus I have a toughbook but that gets charged in the van so doesn't really have any impact on the house.

Were quite pleased to be down to so few machines now, we previously ran 9 machines in one room alone as three clusters 24/7/365. However when I left the IT industry and moved over to plumbing I have managed to lose all the customers finally, the last hosting contract expired last year (phew!)

Where possible we try to use the low powered machines, I do want to replace the media machine which is a PC with something that consumes less, however I don't like spending money in amounts larger than £50 in one go!

;-)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »

I just switched my desktop  of to see on my Battery monitor how much he needs (6 Amps @ 25 volt )=150 Watt

On was 22 inch flat LCD , A PC AMD Athlon 64 X2500 dual core  a cable modem and a wireless router , no printer no scanner on

I switch it of when in bed or not at home , but leave the modem/router on 24 hours cause its our telephone as well

A small Netbook  AKOYA® mini E1210  is  in use as well

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

The laptop which I use as my main desktop and my routers are on all the time (really had to think about shutdown and startup sequence when I was away the other week, what with encrypted partitions and Subversion server needing manual setup).  Laptop draws 21 to 28 W in use and about 14 W when it's calmed down with the lid shut.  Routers draw 10 W between them.

Desktop machine with big CRT monitor is only run occasionally, if I need to try something on Windows or whatever.  Draws relatively lots of power but so rarely that I've forgotten how much.  I think it's over a year since I've switched on the other desktop (NT 4.0).
rob26440

Clear off birds!

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

Laptops only in this house.  "Big PC" hasn't been used for nearly 2 years - too many watts.   Usually 2 laptops on during the day and 3 in the evening.  All are switched off & hidden when we go out.  Also switched off at night.  Router is left on 24/7 cos it doesn't always get a decent speed on reconnection.

We have 2 main printers the Brother MFC-6490CW (does A3 and is a superb machine) is off most of the time but only uses 2 or 3 watts on standby.  The old (and I mean old - probably 15yrs) IBM 4039 laser (mainly for bulk black/white printing) is also off most of the time and is on a 1hr timer if it gets switched on and forgotten.  Great machine but it takes 20W on standby and the heater clicks in and out at 900 watts every now and then.  Hence the timer.  We also have a Dell AIO 966 which is currently just used for photocopying until it runs out of ink then it might be for the scrap heap - also on a 1 hr timer.   Most temperamental - it had a mind of its own and would only go on-line on the network when it felt like it.  Which was not much use.

UPS (Powerware 9120 1500i with EBM) is off cos it draws 50 watts on standby so only gets switched on every now and then to top up its batteries.  If there's a power cut, the laptops have enough power to keep going for a couple of hrs so except for the router there's plenty of time to switch on the UPS - takes about 15 secs to burst into life from fully off.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:31:10 PM by rob26440 » Logged

S/E England. 30x58mm tubes, S/W facing 40deg pitched roof, 216L primary and 184L secondary cylinders, TDC3 with home-made, separate controller to switch between cylinders, 15mm tubing with min 25mm insulation.
kristen

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »

"on a 1hr timer if it gets switched on and forgotten"

That's a good idea.
langstroth2

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »

Main PC often on throughout the day. Unless I override, it'll automatically shutdown at 11.30pm (CRON job).
Old laptop collecting solar temps on 24/7.

Wifi / ADSL router and all other PC peripherals on a timer switch that shuts eveything off between 12 - 7am.
knighty

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »

ps with a 1700 watt psu your computer room must stay pretty toasty?

it's not too bad... it's probably only running at a few hundred watts max most of the time...

I just had to buy a big one because it's the only 'off the shelf' water cooled PSU you can buy

computer is water cooled - I hate a noisy compute.. I mean really HATE the noise.... I've got a few 120mil fans in... but they're all running on 5v instead of 12 so you can only hear them if you're a few inches away from them (i.e. on the floor) and the HDs and all fixed together between some copper blocks (for the water cooling) so you can't hear them either :-)
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »

computer is water cooled - I hate a noisy compute.. I mean really HATE the noise....

Me too.  I don't know how I ever stood working with my desktop - in fact, thinking back I wonder if the noise made a small contribution to a bit of a flake out I had a couple of years ago.  When I use it now I do whatever is needed then turn it off immediately.  When I bought this laptop I intended it only for secondary use but it became my main machine within days mainly because of the quiet.
knighty

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 12:16:20 AM »

I don't know how I ever stood working with my desktop - in fact, thinking back I wonder if the noise made a small contribution to a bit of a flake out I had a couple of years ago.  When I use it now I do whatever is needed then turn it off immediately.  When I bought this laptop I intended it only for secondary use but it became my main machine within days mainly because of the quiet.

the fans that most PCs come with are pretty usless... (cheap)

you can get fans that move just as much air but make a LOT less noise and they're normaly only a fiver each !
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: