navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: how often do you turn your PC off
it's on 24/7 - 9 (21.4%)
turn it off when I go to bed - 7 (16.7%)
turn it off when I go out - 10 (23.8%)
turn it off as soon as I walk away - 16 (38.1%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how often do you turn your PC off ?  (Read 7690 times)
tony.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 07:53:01 AM »

i dont turn my lap top off, but the heat it was generating was quite a bit, this in turn was slowing it down a fair bit.
When im not using the laptop and its still on i turn it upside down to let the heat escape on its own as clearly the fan is pants

tony
rob26440

Clear off birds!

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 08:53:02 AM »

When I'm not using the laptop and its still on i turn it upside down to let the heat escape on its own as clearly the fan is pants

Every few weeks I give my laptop a good vacuum cleaning at all the little grills.  That usually sucks out enough of the accumulated dust from the insides to keep the fan on a slower speed.  If I don't do it the fan tends to run at full speed even when the machine is just idling.  My son opens up his laptop and gives it a blast with the air compressor.  (Not too much of a blast!)  That removes a lot more muck and his runs much cooler.  I have been advised not to do that because of the dangers of static discharges built up by the fast moving air over the components - but it doesn't seem to have happened on his box.

I also make sure there's adequate space under the laptop to allow air to be drawn in.

S/E England. 30x58mm tubes, S/W facing 40deg pitched roof, 216L primary and 184L secondary cylinders, TDC3 with home-made, separate controller to switch between cylinders, 15mm tubing with min 25mm insulation.
byways

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 09:06:12 AM »

"the dangers of static discharges built up by the fast moving air over the components"

A new phenomena to me, are we using the wrong technology with turbines?

Chris
rob26440

Clear off birds!

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »

Apparently the air blast on the circuit boards built up static which when discharged caused component failures - especially ICs such as memory and eproms.

S/E England. 30x58mm tubes, S/W facing 40deg pitched roof, 216L primary and 184L secondary cylinders, TDC3 with home-made, separate controller to switch between cylinders, 15mm tubing with min 25mm insulation.
Eleanor

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:03 PM »

In the bad old days  fight we had (strange coincidence with Rob) "Big PC" running most of the day (and often the night) and consuming on its own about what we consume in total now. Internet access is usually using the Acer Aspire One (haven't really managed to do much else with it  Roll Eyes) but increasingly the new laptop is being used instead of just being polished and worshipped. It uses around 37W including the modem. Everything is switched off when not in use  police

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Ivan
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 12:42:20 AM »

If you don't like noisy computers, you wouldn't like my old workplace - where we used to cellotape business cards to the grills of PC fans (like the kids' bikes with playing cards taped to the forks).

Everything here gets turned off at plug immediately when it's finished with. Modern computers consume considerable power even when off. I did post the consumption of my desktops when 'off' (in fact, power supply is still up and running) - it's scary. Router also gets switched off when use is not planned, and always off before bedtime.

I'm always amazed that so many people don't know what standby and hibernate mean, when shutting down a PC. Hibernate means the memory is dumped to the hard drive. You can turn off the PC, and when it gets turned on it will restart exactly where it left off - takes 30seconds or less). Standby is a waste of time - it runs the PC in 'low energy mode' - which means the power supply is still fully powered (on desktops) and is wasting almost as much power as if the PC was turned on. USE HIBERNATE!
billt

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »

Standby is a waste of time - it runs the PC in 'low energy mode' - which means the power supply is still fully powered (on desktops) and is wasting almost as much power as if the PC was turned on. USE HIBERNATE!

That rather depends on the computer. Good recent ones use the same amount of power in standby as in hibernate, less than a watt. A bit like TVs, which now generally use less than a watt in standby; much less than the designs of 10 or more years ago.
desperate
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

At cactusville there is only one PC for all 3 of us, it probably gets 4 hrs use a day on average(mainly for poncing about on some renewable energy bloggage) and is always turned off after use. Noise..... what noise?... so much traffic/aircraft/builders noise here I cant even  hear my demolition hammer. I luv sarf lunnun.

Desperate
kristen

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 10:34:18 PM »

"Good recent ones use the same amount of power in standby as in hibernate, less than a watt."

Computer can be turned off (as in OFF off!) in hibernate, so can be zero watts.  Have to each down and turn off at the wall though ...  bike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: