navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C.R.A.C  (Read 149879 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #525 on: December 13, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »

Hallo folks,

well I sure am glad we have stuffed the majority of insulation into this project, if anyone tells you insulating a refurb is easy, poke 'em in the eye from me lovefirefox

We opted to insulate the pitch roof areas right down to the eaves rather than insulate the rear of the ashlar walls and the remaining bits of  first floor ceiling, I have seen that on many jobs over the years and it looks less than satisfactory to be honest. On top of that we have oodles of plummin scattered round those bits going to and from the tanks, heat store, heat dump, solar panels and gawd know what that it just seemed to make sense to bring it all into the warm envelope..

So 19 sheets of 10cm celotex found their way into the troughs between the rafters and flat roof joists. Cutting up 800 quids worth of boards and then peicing them all back together is an exercise in frustration and extreme patience, not to mention 10 cans of squirty foam to plug up the inevitable gaps, that bit alone took us 10 man-days I think, cutting triangles to fit against the hips and then fitting it while crawling behind the ashlar studs reduced me to a good imitation of  "the very grumpy caterpillar" in short order banghead

Next up was another 23 sheets of 2.5cm Celotex which was to be fixed over the rafters/joists which proved to be a whole lot easier, I think a couple of man-days and a few more squirts and of course an application of ally tape and it all looked like this;

Oh dear now for the Itchy-scratchy in the dormer stud walls, dust masks at the ready, but it wasn't too bad really. I managed to pick up a load of  80 mm rockwool fire-bats which don't fall apart at the slightest touch so a double layer fitted nice and snug into our 15cm studwork and was all done in a day, over that a layer of visqueen vapour barrier was carefully fitted. All the cables came through noggins previously fitted which now were behind the VCL, then a squirt of silly con and the metal boxes could all go on.

A lot of time was spent making sure as many gaps as possible were squirty-foamed or designed out and so far the result seems quite promising. Despite the weather being quite chilly last week the loft and first floor new rooms were pretty comfortable with heat floating upstairs from the Dragonstove.

There, dun it make you feel warm, it certainly did when we started humping plasterboards up to the lofty, but more of that later.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #526 on: December 13, 2020, 04:59:55 PM »

I Notice that 10cm board is trade named "Recticel"..............I'm not sure if you require an ointment or a bottomottomey for that, but it keeps us warm anyway bike

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #527 on: December 13, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »

Ra ra Desp a cracker of a job, don't envy the pb humping up stairs .

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #528 on: December 13, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »

Good going Desp
        You are going to be finished for Christmas,
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #529 on: December 13, 2020, 08:24:12 PM »

Thanks chaps, it would be nice but we still have a couple of issues to sort Biff. I was quoted over 4 grand for two 30 minute fire windows because we are building within 1 metre of the boundary, I nearly fell over when that quote came in horror The other seven windows including one with a welded cill came in at just over 2 grand.
The thing is we used to have a really fine galleon leaded light with   on the landing wall which is south facing so used to let a beautiful light in. The plan was to set a fixed light into the new south wall and re-fit the galleon as a secondary unit inside, this window is just under 1m2 area. Now according to the regulations if you have more than 1m2 on a wall within the 1 metre they have to be 30mins minimum which rules out the small window we had planned for the downstairs room. Hmmm

Apart from that Tom the spread is busy till after chrimbo, but still we are at least pretty weather proof and warm, and better than that we have a shower at last. Due to Covid shortages we couldn't get the shower door for a few weeks so ended up having a stand up ablute in a bucket, that was quite a hard sell tbh. Luckily Mrs Desp is very understanding surrender

I will be getting loads of stuff in next week just in case brexit jingle bells jingle bells's up the supply chains again.

What with one thing and another it hasn't been a great year to embark on a hundred grand project of bashing the shyte out of cactusville again, you'd have thought I would have learned my lesson eh?

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: