navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panel Vans that will operate on Vegetable Oil or Biodiesel  (Read 45652 times)
Bargeman
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »

Hello,

I'm actively looking for a panel van that will be happy if fuelled by svo or a biodiesel mix (20% or upwards). I'm aware that newer common rail injection diesels are not suitable for use with alternative fuels, and hence an older (pre-1999 ?) model is probably my best bet.

To help me in my quest, I would be mightily obliged to hear from anyone who has any experience of specific makes and models of panel van that are able to function successfully on svo/biodiesel.

thanks

frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »

Peugeot Boxer 1998. 1.9 non turbo. same as Citroen Relay, Fiat Ducato. V slow but basic pump etc so will eat the fat!

XX

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
insolare

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »

If/when I start up doing panel installs I would have liked to run a new van on biofat but I suspect it would be frowned upon by the leasing company, if you could get one that drinks it that is.  Sad
frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »

Heh, good luck with that!
I dont really DO new......

Wink

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
Ivan
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »

Are there any new estate cars suitable for biofuels?Huh!
switchoffthelights

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:24:45 PM »

Ivan the problem with new cars is most are direct injection now with electronic pumps which run at very high pressures and if you kill the pump you are looking at 1000 plus to replace it

Even filling with petrol by mistake can kill them

Gary

Ivan
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

I thought as much. It seems very odd when you think that the Germans especially are very keen on biofuels. It sounds like the industry has written-off biofuels such as biodiesel altogether!! I thought in some countries (Germany/France?) the governments were planning to pass laws to enforce a minimum of 5% of biofuel in standard pump diesel
switchoffthelights

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »

Fuel companies need car makers to survive !

governments need car users to survive they also need the fuel tax Smiley
Bargeman
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 07:19:55 AM »

Hello,

I seem to be making some progress, with the assistance of John Nicholson of Bio-power (www.bio-power.co.uk). I'm now on the look out for a pre-2000 Mercedes 308/310/311 panel van MWB. These are apparently very happy with high mixes of veg oil or biodiesel and go on forever if treated considerately. If anybody knows of one with reasonable bodywork I'd be interested.

John is extremely scathing about the fledgling biodiesel industry and its over-reliance on Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME). He says the additional of petrochemical derived methanol in the production process disqualifies it as a true bio-fuel, as well as generating glycerol as a wasted, energy intense byproduct. He has an alternative process that produces what he calls Modified Used Vegetable Oil (MUVO, aka Bio-power V100) without the use of methanol or caustic soda.

I would be interested to know whether anyone has any direct experience of this fuel or John's Bio-power network before ?

regards
RichieC

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:11:47 AM »

Hi

Yes I have, I attended one of John early seminars on making the fuel. very intresting do you have any specific questions?

Rich
Bargeman
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:41 AM »

Hello Ritchie,

John comes across as extremely knowledgeable and informative. I have read much of the material on the bio-power web site and at face value I am believer; yes lawdy I have seen the light.

However then I remind myself I am not a chemist and I am not really capable of fully evaluating what I have been told and read. What John is suggesting seems almost too good to be true; which leads me to question why isn't everybody doing it. So I was hoping for a counterblast from someone with hands on experience which would make me aware of any pitfalls and problems with the process. If there aren't any, then John really has discovered the next best thing since sliced bread, and I'm off to do a round of the local chip shops.

regards
Fiat

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 12:13:46 PM »

Hi Bargeman
Regards running a panel van on biodiesel i run mine on bio without to many problems yet ( touch wood ) 2 L TDI I buy mine from a guy welwyn all taxs paid for 79 pence a liter it does not like the cold to much  cranks over 4/5 times before it starts
I have come across this web site it might help www.vegburner.co.uk./oils.htm
regards
Frank
chisrooney

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 04:45:17 PM »

HI I am new to this forum

I have had some great success running a VW caravelle 2.4 non turbo 5 cyl, on neat new vegetable oil from one our local supermarkets at 100% neat in the summer dropping to 50/50% mix in spring and autumn, and then to 30/70 in favour of diesel when the temp dropped to 10c or below. the thing ran much better quieter and cleaner, and I covered some 20k like it and eventually sold it for a few hundred quid more because of it
Ivan
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »

My Uncle ran an old Rover 100 diesel (Metro lookalike!) for a year or two on 50% veg oil in the summer - occasionally 100% if he was short of cash - without any problems.
thirpo

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »

hello there I'm running my renault trafic 1.9 dci 2005 on 100% bio diesel no problems at all it works fantastic and I'm installing solar so yes it looks good to the customer you know small sticker on back ,this van runs on 100% bio diesel , abit cleshay but people love all that stuff , oh and the duty has been paid 90 pence a litre from lockgate nurseries in chichester sussex area. looking to by a small scale bio plant for under 1000 so i can make the stuff my self any suggestions Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: