navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALCAD UHP 80  (Read 4458 times)
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« on: November 01, 2009, 11:48:12 AM »

SO I aquired a bank of 18 of these with a charger that I haven't fixed yet. They seemed to be in a sorry state when I got them, individual cell voltages varying from 0.02 to 0.54v.
As the charger that came with is US at the moment I have split them down into three strings. Taking the two strings with hthe most electrolyte I have whacked them onto a car car charger and am now hiting about 1.54v per cell.
Anybody know if these are supposed to be 2v cells or 1.5v cells. I'll ring ALCAD themselves on monday to find out from the horses mouth but thought I would check here as folk know so much.

regards,

Mark

;-)
martin

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

I have a feeling you've got some ni-cads there (1.2 volts nominal), here's a link to the website - http://www.alcad.com/batteries.htm
If they are nicads, and you've got them showing that sort of voltage, you maybe in luck - cheap batteries! I'd suggest that a really good read up about the relatively "peculiar" characteristics would not come amiss - if used sympathetically, they could be great.
From memory (I used to use small ni-cads in flashguns a lot), they prefer to be run right down before recharging, or they can suffer "memory" problems if just topped up, and they are capable of giving (or receiving) a lot of amps without incurring damage (if you look at the usage they get from people who use them for model car racing, they can be pretty tough!) Smiley

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »

Yes would say they are Nicad dont worry about the voltages from stored cells, they self discharge a lot
This should cheer you up
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »

Stuart/Martin,

Many thanks after a bit of further reading it seems you're both right. I'm out of De-ionised water to top the last string up for now, but it seems I may have stumbled on a very cheap Battery. If I can get this charger that came with working then I am going to be very lucky indeed, however 150 for a 24v bank seems a bargain. Need to catch somebody going to town tomorrow to get some more fluid for them unless there is a homebrew soloution I can use?

Mark
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:20:38 PM by sleepybubble » Logged

;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: