navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: power usage  (Read 4869 times)
petertc

« on: November 19, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »

I have been monitoring the computer power usage. see result below

netgear wireless router DG834ON 9.5 watts
HP photosmart 7260 printer, 15w when printing 3w when on.
yusmart 17 in LCD screen 17.5w when on did not see what it was using in power saving mode
Fujitsu siemens Scaleo P 170 w on start up 110w when running.

There are no standby power usage as we switch off.

other items

Tefal 1 cup kettle 0.024kwh to boil 1 cup of water 1.5w in stand by ( it is using about 3kw for 1 1/2 min for each cup)
small cd radio with on off switch no remote. 4.5w in use 2.5 watt switched off by power button guess what we switch of at the mains  angel
std toaster 0.024kwh to do 2 slices of toast ( this was using about 1 kw whislt on)

I have just got my meter back so am playing again. Swapping to a low power pc 16 watt will save us about 30 per year but i am looking at having to spend 200 to do it. so i think it will have to wait until my pc packs up.

my acer aspire one when on and charging the battery was using 30 watts
and old hp laptop hd packing up was using about 65 w no wireless but charging a battery.

I am working on a spread sheet at the moment for working out the running cost of all electrical items in the house and also to show the standby costs as well. you will need the figures from a power meter or the power per cycle dishwasher washing machine etc.
once done i will post as ods and xls so people will be free to modify it. hopefully finish it at the weekend.
KLD

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:59 PM »

Peter

Do you have an electric cooker? We bake our own bread every three days in an electric oven, and on those days the leccy consumption goes up by 2 or 3kWh!

Now, how can we fit that masonry stove with built-in oven in?

Klaus
daftlad

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »

Now, how can we fit that masonry stove with built-in oven in?
The sooner the better?  bike
ta ta

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Outtasight

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:01:52 AM »

I have been monitoring the computer power usage. see result below

Tefal 1 cup kettle 0.024kwh to boil 1 cup of water 1.5w in stand by ( it is using about 3kw for 1 1/2 min for each cup)

1.5W for a kettle in "stand by"!!! Why the hell does a kettle need to stand by???  Stand by for what???  banghead

So this Tefal thingy will consume 36Wh per day while not boiling anything... and it costs 24Wh to boil a cup of water... So in a year it will have consumed the energy necessary to boil 547 cups of water, while actually doing nothing.

Didn't old skool kettles all consume no power when not actually boiling water?  Although, I notice in the local shops a trend for glow in the dark kettles that double up as Christmas fairy lights when they aren't making a cuppa so the Tefal may actually be an eco-kettle by those standards.

http://solarbodge.blogspot.com/
3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
petertc

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »

We switch ours off at the socket so no worries there  angel
Outtasight

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »

Good man.  I wasn't having a dig at you but rather the design of the thing.

Any idea why they deemed it necessary for it to consume power when not actually heating water?   wackoteapot

3.58kWp & 800Ah LiFeYPO4 off-grid(ish). See 'Cobbled together PV in W.Sussex' (in "Show Us Yours")
petertc

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »

I quite agree with you on that one
petertc

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »

Well the old fridge Freezer is now in the garage and will be acting as a seed store!
new larder fridge installed on Friday and first days running was a grand total ( wait for it ) 0.336 kwh  :angel:This is a 130 litre capacity and the old fridge capacity was about 145 plus freezer bit 70 ish litres.

so we have gone from 1.256 kwh per day down to 0.336 kwh per day. that is a reduction of 335kwh year or about 43.00
in 4 years we will have got our money back.

Also tested a microwave oven on standby and this was using 1.7 watts ( again this is switch off at the mains unless we need to use it.)

Hugo

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »

Fridge sounds a good one what make and model is it petertc.
Going to put my meter onto my kettle now to see if it's like yours. ta.
Outtasight

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 11:21:40 PM »

Well the old fridge Freezer is now in the garage and will be acting as a seed store!

Are you dispensing with a freezer altogether or using a separate chest one or something?

petertc

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »

We already have a chest freezer in the garage so that was why i was able to drop the old fridge freezer. The freezer in the garage  is an fridgeaire  rated at 1 kwh per day we saw less than this with the Navitron plug in meter)

The new larger fridge is a Lec L5526W  it is A rated and shows a power consumption at 150 kwh per year on the label . ( i wonder if this is on the lowest temperature setting 5 ).

You can get it from screwfix for 150 we bought our form a local shop a bit more expensive but they came and fitted it and moved the old one to the garage for us , it cost us 179.

I have just finished taking a reading on the slow cooker, it used 1.45kwh, in 7 hours , we use this about once a week
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:55:34 PM by petertc » Logged
petertc

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »

Just one more item.

we have a bread maker i have now tested this and it came in at 0.534 kwh per loaf we do 3 loaves a week, so just over 1.5kwh per week.

Mudman

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »

That slow cooker is excessive- ours takes 0.18kwh for a 4 hour cook.

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: