navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind turbines and solar panels could be put up without planning permission  (Read 3417 times)
martin

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »

Unfortunately it'll have to be accredited by MCS, BRE, and assorted other bloodsucking leech organisations which'll probably increase the building-costs twenty-fold whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »

I understand the issues concerning noise and vibration.

The point is that there are existing procedures for someone to raise a complaint about a statutory nuisance and get redress.  Just what you would do if a neighbour played loud music at 3am.  If someone has put up a turbine that causes a nuisance then a planning enforcement officer from the council should be able to get the thing taken down. In fact this will still need to apply in the case where an MCS accredited turbine still causes a problem.

I don't see how presenting renewable technology as 'something different' that requires all sorts of special treatment is in any way helpful.

Volunteer moderator
Justme

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »

That's an interesting interpretation. Unfortunately it also says this in para 2.15:

Permitted development rights for wind turbines and air source heat pumps will only be
accorded for equipment installed by an installer who has been certificated through
the scheme using a certificated product.

which is a lot less ambiguous.

We would have to wait for the final legislation, I guess, to see if there will be any wriggle room.

Yeh I saw that bit too, I prefer my quote lol.

At least we can hope the official version is also drafted badly.

So according to this new proposal I can build my 5 bedroom traditional windmill as permitted development so long as the overall height of the windmill is less than 15 metres high.

Sounds good to me I have always wanted to live in a windmill.

I like your style.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Ivan
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »

renewablejohn,

You're right...but it has to be MCS-approved. That'll cost you 450 000.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »

renewablejohn, MCS only covers systems up to 50kW so a 51kW windmill would be outside their scope.   whistlie

I hope you've read the parts in the consultation doc that relate to biomass systems on agricultural premises - Chapter 5.  But permitted development will only be available for 'waste' generated on that farm and not for any that is shipped in from elsewhere.  I'm sure there might be ways around that.  Wink

You'll also be able to erect a building to house a hydro turbine without the need for planning permission and there's nothing in there at present to say you couldn't also live in it.

Volunteer moderator
Justme

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »

How long from now do you think it will take them to bring this in?
(and then here in Wales we will have to wait 2-3 years for them to translate the doc & change a few minor things before we get it too)

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
martin

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »

There's also the other joker in the pack to consider - there is every likelihood that we'll get a tory government in the next few months (no government in the position the present one is in financially would WANT to be re-elected), which will mean enormous cuts in many things, and a period of reorganisation whilst they transfer the quangos, initiatives and other assorted useless leech organisations over to those run by their buddies, instead of those run by Tony/The Gorgon's cronies.......... whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »

Apparently there is no such legal entity as "England" any more - it is "England and Wales". Despite this the Act that is forcing this change to permitted development only applies to England so, yes, we in Wales will have to wait a while for this to change here. 

I've already written to Jane Davidson AM about it. The very least we should have is a consultation run in parallel with the one for England.

Volunteer moderator
renewablejohn

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 11:37:39 AM »

renewablejohn, MCS only covers systems up to 50kW so a 51kW windmill would be outside their scope.   whistlie

I hope you've read the parts in the consultation doc that relate to biomass systems on agricultural premises - Chapter 5.  But permitted development will only be available for 'waste' generated on that farm and not for any that is shipped in from elsewhere.  I'm sure there might be ways around that.  Wink

You'll also be able to erect a building to house a hydro turbine without the need for planning permission and there's nothing in there at present to say you couldn't also live in it.

Ted

I presume the 50kw limit is only electrical output there is nothing to stop any additional power being used direct to drive machinery

As for on farm AD you need a very big farm to justify AD using only your own waste.
Justme

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »

MCS only covers systems up to 50kW so a 51kW windmill would be outside their scope.   whistlie

I presume the 50kw limit is only electrical output there is nothing to stop any additional power being used direct to drive machinery

[/quote]

I tghink you missed the point. Over 50kw & MCS does no apply so build a big one & they cant make you use MSC kit & installers. But then I guess the exemption would also not apply.l

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: