navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top10 Goofs  (Read 11032 times)
Ivan
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »

Self-nominations only, to avoid embarrasment or ill feeling. So far, I have:

Tigger
Ivan
Dinitro - please post details of your nomination to http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9172.0.html and I'll post it below.
Wyleu
Desperate
Lightfoot
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:32:53 AM by Ivan » Logged
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »

TIGGER's Nomination:

Whilst installing my WBS, I had to make holes through the outside wall of the house to bring the 28mm pipes through from the boiler.  They come back in at first floor level in one of the bedrooms and head off to the airing cupboard under the floor.

So, I had cut out appropriate sections of the floor (those horrible big sheets instead of nice and easy floorboards) and was now faced with an open floor looking down onto the living room ceiling.

Cautious was the word here, I didn't want to end up in the living room so I decided to use one of the pieces of flooring as a 'seat' across the joists and provide me with a safe working platform.  What an absolutely excellent idea.

Anyway, there I was, working away at making the holes in the outside wall, sat quite smugly on my safety platform when the doorbell rang.  I put the drill down onto the floor at the side of me, turned round on my safety platform to stand up and then promptly found myself hanging by my armpits into the living room.

My safety platform was not so safe after all.  Well, it would have been had I noticed that the piece I had selected was actually two pieces with a join that was almost invisible.

Thankfully I got away with very little 'other damage'.  The broken platform landed on the carpet, missing both the brand new hand cut stone fireplace, the coffee table and the 3 month old TV.  The ceiling needed to be patched up which was an extra expense I hadn't budgeted for which was a bummer.

As for me, well I laughed eventually but sadly that hurt since I managed to smack my ribs on the joist as I went through the ceiling.

Please laugh, I certainly do now I can look back on it.......

Ian.
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »

Ivan's nomination:

Setting fire to the insulation on my 260litre tank whilst trying to solder 1" copper pipe wedged between tank insulation and wall, and putting out the aforementioned fire using multiple runs between bathroom and airing cupboard with toothbrush mug. (Despite having fire extinguishers, I couldn't remember where they were, you know how your mind goes blank at such times....). For the record, I WAS using heat resistant mats, but clearly they weren't quite heat-resistant enough. Also for the record, I successfully soldered the end-feed fitting despite the fire
wyleu
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »

Chasing  50 * 25 mm plastic trunking into pillar in the room. Measured up, marked up, put in trunking run in joisted ceiling and screwed it down. Then set to with multimaster and a fairly blunt blade ( a favourite combination ) to cut, as neatly as possible the large slot for the trunking. Started at the bottom and worked up, knocking out the breeze block as I went.

Imagine my surprise when getting to the top of the pillar to strike the RSJ...   No choice whole project had to move 450 mm to the right to get round it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: