navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Secret Energy Turbine  (Read 14069 times)
martin

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »

Silly sod! Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
oliver90owner

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:19 PM »

Here's ten:

Every time you double your wind speed you can multiply your power output by 4,

A sine wave inverter big enough to suit your need (1000 watt is probably the best)

photovoltaic solar panels will never produce as much energy as it takes to build them in the first place

It is fully insulated against high and low temperatures

the
payback time will depend upon the (size and) number of S.E.Ts you have

We recommend leisure
batteries, 80/110v.

It is presently offering 52p per kilowatt

If you need an efficient and reliable energy solution,
then the S.E.T is your answer!

a 400mm unit would
generate enough power to run all your upstairs sockets

500mm unit would run all your downstairs sockets.

Regards, RAB
dhaslam

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »

In Comparison that flying bike looked good.  Can be battery powered but  you have to pedal to charge the battery or you use bicycle takeoff.     Some mothers do have them. 

www.airbikeuk.co.uk/Airbike.htm

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
martin

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »

They could solve a lot of problems - any blobboids wanting to go to Disneyland US of A could be ushered to a fleet of 'em! Grin Grin Grin
Flocks of them, furiously pedalling their way westwards.................

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 11:37:33 PM »

... is this true, ...

The fact is, photovoltaic solar panels will never produce as much energy as it takes to build them in the first place, making them carbon negative!

Briefly, no.  Google "PV EROEI" (energy return on energy invested).  E.g.:

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/35489.pdf

That's slightly assuming the carbon intensity of the manufacturing process is the same as that of the electricity displayed displaced by the usage (so carbon is proportional to energy) but it's probably not far out.

it's just soooooo bad - referring to volts when they mean amp/hrs etc

My irony meter just twitched, slightly.
pipesmokingman
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »

as an former fire fighter with a few years of experience of working round chimney stacks ( 22+ to be exact - well sort of ) this FAQ made me chuckle

quote from site : Q. If you install a S.E.T to an existing chimney stack, can you still have a working fire?
A. Yes, the product is heat resistant.

er - heat and soot particles will soon screw this device in my opinion - that's if it does not clog up first  banghead + soot is insidiously corrosive ,dependent on whats being burned - and if you have a chimney fire ?? - 700+ quid up the Swanee - a half decent chimney fire would probably melt it !! - and believe me i have seen and had to deal with some real "roman candle " jobs  Roll Eyes

plus agree fully with the thought about NOT  mounting things on chimney stacks - from my experience , these are usually the most neglected feature of any house as they are usually inaccessible + i wonder if this firm has any REAL experience of working on roofs/chimneys/at height ?? - roofs are bloody dangerous places for the inexperienced /unwary - and to even THINK of installing one would require proper scaffolding to be erected ( not something you can do off a roof ladder ( imo + there's prob a health and safety issue these days )  - sooooo add a few hundred for that + i wonder if they have thought about someone having an accident following THEIR  instructions - or whether your insurance company would approve of a weighty object perched at height with the potential to fall off and possibly kill or injure someone ?? ( just looking at the stacks round here out of my window - i would not want to mount a TV aerial on a lot of them - especially that one over there with a bloody great crack right down it and a nasty lean to the right , there gonna be a big crash one night ..................glad i don't have a car to park anywhere near that property ...... whistlie )

its all very well coming up with these things -BUT , one has to consider practicalities / have some experience in the area concerned  , like many of the things touted as the next solution , a list of FAQ's on a flash web site , and the real world are 2 totally different things

final thought : what if you DO buy one and the firm gos tits up in a few months ( not unknown ) - where is your back up ?? - repairs for the product, spare parts , servicing etc ?? - not a "fit and forget " item is it ??  wackoteapot

definitely buyer beware methinks  Wink
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:09:06 AM by pipesmokingman » Logged
Hugo

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

Pipe man has said it all really.
Whilst I like the design of the said apparatus, no chimney is designed for this sort of thing.
When I purchased my house, First thing I did was get up on the roof and sort the chimney out.
I was surprised it was still standing.
I once worked as a roofer and saw some still standing but with almost no mortar in the brickwork.
Eleanor

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »

The site is truly scary and it's difficult to believe that James Caan hasn't consulted anyone who knows anything about wind power  facepalm
Running a cooker and washing machine from a 2kW modified sinewave inverter and leisure batteries  facepalm
A big bank (the more the merrier) of batteries in every living room  facepalm

It will probably use more in electricity to keep the batteries charged than it will produce, if anyone bothers to charge them  banghead
This is terrible and just gives the renewable energy industry a bad name. Stomps off  fume

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
dhaslam

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

I don't think he would win the prize for the craziest  wind turbine.   For that you need to go to Dubai.   

http://inventorspot.com/articles/twisting_skyscraper_uses_wind_power_itself_5846

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
pipesmokingman
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 08:36:30 AM »

I don't think he would win the prize for the craziest  wind turbine.   For that you need to go to Dubai.   

http://inventorspot.com/articles/twisting_skyscraper_uses_wind_power_itself_5846

guess if you gonna think crazy- think BIG  crazy  whistlie
Brandon

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »

Born yesterday?

This fella seems to be hatching!

changing the world, one roof at a time.

Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
skilful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
alternatives.
Brandon

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »