navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 [125]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 337851 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1860 on: February 10, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »

Thanks for the Ventusky link Chas .
     Took Andy to remind me. Grin.
    We have really foul weather here. It has been a while since I saw an ice shower, it was really noisy and battered the car with 10mm ice crystals for about 5 minutes. Very strange.
  All is good here Andy. Storm roaring away outside and we have retired to bed. Best place to be. Tomorrow  is giving ice and snow and stronger winds again. Angry
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1861 on: February 11, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »

Strewth,
      Thousands of Donegal homes are presently without power, Our night went by here without event. In truth, I have not ventured further than 100 yards. I freed our turbine from the straps at 11am and after a few gentle puffs, she shot off at a fair old lick and soon she was clocking the figures below. We should have this until about 9pm
    Most of which goes directly into the immersions and will help the stove heat the house. The turbine of course is still lowered and resting on it,s trestle. It is easy to tell that the winds during the night were really severe. The remaining grasses have been battered flat and our shrubs and bushes are the worst from wear,.. Once you have taken every possible precaution, all you can do is get out of the way and keep safe.
   We had to drive down to Sligo yesterday. I would rather have stayed at home but it was totally necessary. The journey back from 3. 30pm to 5pm was pretty hairy in places. I kept to a steady 50mph and well in on my own side, leaving loads of room for the brave hearted. There were very few takers if any, The closer we came to Donegal ,the worse the wind became. Even the simple job of opening our driveway gate and taking in the little shopping we had, was a major operation. The wind was ferocious.  There was great feeling of relief once inside with the fire going, hot drinks and a place to rest our heads. We did not bother with the news, Sure we could have told them all about it,
                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #1862 on: February 11, 2020, 04:19:22 PM »

Hi Biff glad to hear you OK.

Winds eased of now this afty  but still about 12 Msec.  Since midnight (16 hrs) I've logged 17 Kw coming in from the WT. Every thing is toasty warm indoors.

Cheers.
Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1863 on: February 16, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »

Strewth, freeze
         T,is a tad windy. Lots of folks with no mains lecky.
 This must be one of the longest storms we have ever had.
Still the bad bit to come this afternoon.
  Massive storm from once again.
 God help anyone trying to keep to a building schedule  in this penance.
     Biff

Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1864 on: February 16, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »

Certainly the longest, noisiest storm I have known in these parts. The sky roared and boomed, the background sound was like a freight-train of empty stone-hoppers travelling at maximum speed over rough track, to the background of a thunderstorm. I was awake all night wondering what was breaking and smashing; the workshop didn't budge a millimetre, I had tied the No1 shed roof down after Ciara. I'd put the wind here at just a bit higher than the 1987 October gale. The shortwave listening wire was felled by Ciara.
We are now back down to a peaceful 14 mph with 39 mph gusts; bliss! (I'll probably spend the rest of the day nodding-of unexpectedly)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1865 on: February 16, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »

It,s bad out there now,
                      But not bad bad, The fire in the stove was getting sucked up the chimney around 2pm, Then it eased off for a while, Now back with a vengeance .
   The house controller is clocking 138vdc steady, so loadsa hot water Grin .
  The forecast for the week ahead is more of the same, So this February must already be something of a record for strong wind. Our stove is playing like that long bushman Didgeridoo. That is when the fire starts to die. We have often had it worse than this but this is so prolonged and it is very difficult to get anything done about the place while the wind is blowing a force 8 +. It can be quite dangerous.
     I sincerely hope all our members are safe and out of harms way..
                           Biff
    Just coming on dark, We had a really roaring wind that shook the house for a few minutes and continued to thrash about the place, I donned my parka and boots and made it down to the shed, The UVPC side door had blown in but must have just happened, The floor was dry and the door seemed fine and the glass not broken, I think I locked it with the handle last time I used it but this time I locked it again with the 5 point security mechanism then Put a plank across the doorway and tied the door to the plank. The sky went suddenly dark and the wind began gusting in earnest, It has been pretty bad since, This would be as bad a wind if not the worst we have had for a long time.It is still roaring away out there. It would be terrible to think that because of climate change, this was the new normal. I sincerely hope not. freeze

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:29:22 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 [125]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: