navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FITs/RO mechanisms consultation  (Read 4286 times)
wookey

« on: December 22, 2009, 06:30:48 PM »

I was just emailed about a new DECC consultation on the FITs (and RO) mechanisms (as opposed to policy)

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/consultations/elec_financial/elec_financial.aspx

Wookey
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »

wookey
thanks a lot to read here. Thanks for the link
Sean

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »

The new part they are consulting on is the pdf near the bottom of the page:

http://www.decc.gov.uk/Media/viewfile.ashx?FilePath=Consultations\Renewable%20Electricity%20Financial%20Incentives\1_20091222120722_e_@@_consultationonsupplylicenceconditions.pdf&filetype=4

This is under 'Consultation on proposal to modify electricity supply licence conditions for the purpose of introducing the Feed-In Tariff Scheme'. They seem to have emailed everyone who responded to the initial FITs consultation.

It's very interesting that the new document includes this definition:

“MCS or equivalent” means the Microgeneration Certification Scheme or equivalent schemes accredited under EN 45011, which certify microgeneration products and installers in accordance with consistent standards;

I wonder what 'equivalent' schemes there are in the offing?  This has never been mentioned before. Possibly something to get around the UK-only MCS anti-competitive EU-illegality charge?

Volunteer moderator
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »

EN 45011 seems to be a methodology for anyone approving products in the EU, including cheese Grommit:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17209866

Which basically means, I think, if a panel or inverter is approved by a body complying with EN 45011 then it is approved for FITs.    Grin Grin

EN 45011 appears to be the same as ISO-65

-Paul
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:45:12 PM by Paulh_Boats » Logged

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:53 AM »

Reading the document it appears that multiple Eligible Installations can exist on one site.

“Site”
means the premises to which are attached one or more Eligible Installations in close geographical proximity to each other where such Eligible Installations are owned by the same FITs Generator

Each Eligible Installation is treated separately with the tariffs in place when commissioned. So Eligible Installation A gets 40p/unit now...but in 5 years Eligible Installation B might only get 20p/unit. There is fine print to prevent extending A after one year...to stop you cheating the system.

I think the document is hard to understand though - you need a legal mind to get through it!

It looks like Specified Maximum Capacity will be decided by Government and you can have multiple PV Eligible Installations, as long as the total power is less than Specified Maximum Capacity. That means you can start with 2 panels + inverter today.......then in 2 years add 8 panels and another inverter (the second install gets a different rate). Any comments Ted?

-Paul
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:57:49 AM by Paulh_Boats » Logged

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »

Yes, this document gives several hints as to how DECC are planning to implement FITs regarding the options that were mooted in the original FITs consultation document.

For example, it seems clear that large electricity suppliers will be forced to support FITs (Mandatory FITs Licensees) whereas smaller companies - Good Energy and Ecotricity come to mind - will be Voluntary FITs Licensees.

There are also a raft of definitions in there - such as Specified Maximum Capacity - that are just 'place holders' to make framing the document and future updates easier. That figure is currently set to be 5MW but that could change over time.

How upgrades to existing systems will be handled is covered as well.

Good to see that of the 733 consultation responses they got that 53% were from individuals. I think that's a staggering response compared to other similar government consultations on energy issues and shows just how important this is. I wonder how many of those were disgruntled existing system owners though?

Volunteer moderator
Moxi

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »

I think the main thing is that DECC appear to be listening and more importantly acting on the feed back from consultation, I believe a lot of people feared that the consultation period would only be paid lip service as has happened in the past.

Positive news for once.

Moxi
wigmyster

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:21 AM »

So are we saying the DECC document & the MCS documents & responses regarding MCS being the only route to the proposed FIT are conflicting? Solar & wind.
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »

Ted, Moxi,

Also I could see no barrier to the use of existing installations - they just have to be approved by a body acting under EN 45011. For example NICEIC meets the requirements of EN 45011 so my interpretation is that the average registered sparky could approve an install.

Of course the tariff paid could be different for existing installations; lower if you had a grant for example. I look forward to seeing the tariff details in January.

wigmyster - Yes it looks like MCS have lost their monopoly!

-Paul
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:22:43 AM by Paulh_Boats » Logged

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »

The next question is, of course, who gets to decide if a body is equivalent to the MCS or not.

Volunteer moderator
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »

The next question is, of course, who gets to decide if a body is equivalent to the MCS or not.

Quoting from the NICEIC website:

"The NICEIC Approved Contractor Scheme is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) to EN 45011 - General requirements for bodies operating product certification systems"

(http://niceic.org.uk/en/contractor/article.asp?SECTION=15&ARTICLE=6)

So I conclude that UKAS could approve a body that in turn could approve low carbon installations.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

Mankysteve

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »

Sorry if this a stupid question but with EN 45011 does that cover your ordinary Part P sparky?
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »

This is the bits of FITTS I am waiting to get resolved/finalised, to find out what I actually need to be certified (in a nice way). I was going to go for a NECIEC approved contractor, but then stopped and I'll wait untill the dust clears and I know what I really need.

I am waiting to find out the least cost of becoming approved, and what equipment can be used so that:
1. I can install my own system and get the Fitts,
and
2. I can install systems for customers with least overhead costs that they don't need to pay for.

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
pv-array

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »

Is it still worth writing to MPs about MCS and accreditation for FIT payments, or is it too late now?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: