navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PV Installation Guidelines  (Read 51071 times)
Ted
Global Moderator

« on: December 24, 2009, 10:27:22 AM »

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Global-Data/Publications/Photovoltaics-in-Buildings-Guide-to-the-installation-of-PV-systems-2nd-edition

Pdf file linked at the bottom of that page.

Volunteer moderator
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »

Electrical Safety Council Best Practice Guides:

Connecting a microgeneration system to a domestic or similar electrical installation

http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG3_08.pdf

[edit - new URL]

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:42:56 PM by Ted » Logged

Volunteer moderator
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »

More Nanny State rules for off gridders charging batteries.....but very thorough document from Energy Saving Trust.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Justme

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »

Its all well & good bringing out all these new "guidelines" but how do they plan on letting them people that need them?

Just putting it on some obscure professionals web site wont let many people know.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
daftlad

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »

Just putting it on some obscure professionals web site wont let many people know.
That's why God created THE TED.
He trawles these "obscure professionals web site" for us. Thanks Ted.
ta ta

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »

Most of the document Ted references in his first post seems to be common sense (maybe a few more labels than I would hope to be necessary for anybody competent to do anything) but it says on page 31:

Isolation is to be installed and the system designed so that the PV array cannot directly feed the loads when the battery has been disconnected.

Any thoughts on why they say that?  If you have main positive and negative bus bars fed by one or more MPPTs and with a few battery strings and the various loads also directly connected to the bus bars, all with appropriate individual isolation and overcurrent protection, this would be awkward to achieve.
Justme

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »

That's why God created THE TED.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a TED

Or to be a member of a forum like this one.

As a % of all the people that are doing that stuff how many

a, have a TED
b, are on this of similar forum
c, would find & read the doc with out help

I would guess the numbers would be quite low.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
mpooley

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure "Ted's" are a renewable rescource! bike

It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.” Richard Feynman
chickensoup

meus bogs clausus

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »

Ahh! Ted, this was the document, i asked you to send me!

chicken
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:48:34 PM by chickensoup » Logged

My first recollection of tinkering was wiring a 240v radio cord to a 9v motor to my technic Lego truck, it ended with setting the kitchen on fire!............................I couldn't sit down for two days!
SnaxMuppet

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »

Just a quick update...

The system is now installed...

Thanks for everyon'e help, advice and comment.

This is a great forum... just wish I had found it 3 months ago... I wouldn't have used this installer!!!

The system is not yet functioning... it was too dark to test the system but if the system does not work tomorrow morning they will return Friday.

I am installing a Brultech montioring system as soon as I can get it shipped from the manufacturer so more info on other threads I expect.

Thanks again.
DonL

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »

Thanks Ted
A really useful link.
Don

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP, 40kWh Nissan Leaf
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »

Here is a supplementary document to the original Installation Guide, listed at the start of this thread, which provides some more background and context. It also gives background where Section 712 (PV) of BS7671 is concerned.

But please do note the caveats that are included:

This document contains some of the background information which was used by the
writers to produce the guide, named “Photovoltaics in Buildings: Guide to the installation
of PV systems” (DTI/Pub URN 02/788). The guide itself contains the considered
recommendations of the group after consultation with people in the industry. As such it
constitutes the definitive material, not this report.

Sometimes the information in this report is not conclusive and may at times present
apparently conflicting pieces of information. Nevertheless decisions had to be made in
the course of producing the guide which are sometimes based on caution or lack of
substantiated background material. This report should be read in conjunction with the
guide itself and may present the reader with some useful background information, but
will not always be sufficient to fully explain the decisions in the guide.

Background Information to the Installers Guide for Small Scale Mains Connected PV

The document also provides some further information relevant to 3 or 4 recent threads on the forum - SELV voltages and human bodies, fire risk of PV and earthing of PV panels.

Finally - the document was written nearly 8 years ago, so is obviously not going to be up to date in all respects.

Volunteer moderator
Damo

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »

Could anyone office advice on the physical security of panels. I’ve seen pictures of installations where the panels are on a single storey outhouse, or on bungalows. With such low installations, has there been many/any reports of PV panels been stolen? Are there security options with the framing system?

And do PV (or Solar Thermal for that matter) panels need to be separately noted on your household insurance policy?

Thanks
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

My solar thermal and PV are covered by the home policy I have with the Halifax.

I did contact them to double check but it's there in the standard policy document.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP/Pylon US2000 19.2kW
immerSUN 2
[url=http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=4602&sid=195
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »

With such low installations, has there been many/any reports of PV panels been stolen?

The panels on the Brighton Earthship were stolen around about the end of its construction.  At least some of them were recovered from the roof of a local's van.

One of the few things I'd see in favour of the MCS/FITS stuff is that there might be some hope it'll reduce the grey/black market for panels.

Detecting tampering with panels ought to be possible via the normal wiring.  Perhaps this is something which could be built into the inverters.  Taking it a bit further, if each panel had a chip in it communicating with something like 1-wire, either over the normal power wiring or separately, that could be valuable for both security and for various diagnostic functions (e.g., looking for shading or connection problems).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: