navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PV Installation Guidelines  (Read 41322 times)
DonL

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »

I informed my insurers about my original installation and it was simply noted on the policy. I recently informed them about the forthcoming phase 2 and have received a load of questions from the underwriters so I think the industry must be starting to understand the risks and taking it a bit more seriously.
Don

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
rossi

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »

what is the minimum space needed to leave from the gutter so the rain water doesn't miss the gutter Huh??

rondurrans

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »

I got this from somewhere - keep back at least 400mm from the ridge, gutters, edge(s):-

To prevent the wind getting under the panels
To prevent rain running off the panels and over the guttering.
To allow the installer access around the roof with roof crawlers
To prevent noise from wind flow around the array edge.
To avoid disturbance of cemented tiles at edge and ridge.

4 kW PV Array on the North Wales Coast - http://energy1.moonfruit.com/
'Nullius in verba' & 'Nothing Endures but Change' (Heraclitus)
rossi

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

is it possible to get away with leaving only 200mm gap from the gutter  Huh
Justme

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »

Wont that depend on the pitch of the roof?

Steep pitch faster run off = larger gap.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »

depends on the height above the roof, strength of mounting structure, slope of roof, how windy the location is etc.

essentially it is possible, but you'd generally need to lower the height of the panels above the roof, and increase the number of brackets used on the bottom row, and possibly add an extra rail in to the bottom panels to mitigate the impact of the increased wind loading.

depending on the mounting system used you may also have to be quite careful about the choice of brackets to match with the tiles to get you the 20cm - ie with shuco systems using the bottom antislide clip below the panel there's not really any room to manouver the panel vertically once the rail's in position, so you need to look at where the roof fixing / rail / clip is actually going to locate the panel in relation to the tiles rather than just assuming that you can locate a panel 20cm from the bottom.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
rossi

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »

hi,
pitch is about 43-45 degree, rosemary tiles, area is not prone to high winds but cannot rule them out, panels to go are sanyo 215s
mikepe12

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

Hi all, sorry to drag up this old chestnut.

Does anyone know if the 3rd edition of the installation guide was ever published ??

And where can I download it ??

All I can find on the web is its coming, but it seems to have been coming for a long time.

Thanks,  Mike
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »

http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/images/PV%20Book%20ELECTRONIC.pdf

Volunteer moderator
mikepe12

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »

Thanks Ted, much appreciated.

Mike
JohnP2014

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 05:17:48 AM »

what is the minimum space needed to leave from the gutter so the rain water doesn't miss the gutter Huh??

On my somewhat crammed 30 degree roof and 200 mm ish margin, it is  snow that is the problem. It melts early on the black panels and slides down to form a "drift" at the bottom of each of three rows, This (re)frozen lump can break away as a near lethal avalanche and jump the bottom tiled margin of the roof.
Fortunately I have a bungalow and have devised a telescopic brush for removing this snow before it slides to create a "drift".
If you have kids or grandchildren take care.
puredrivebatteries

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:37 AM »

Very Useful advice, thank you.
codeatext

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 10:54:57 AM »

Its all well & good bringing out all these new "guidelines" but how do they plan on letting them people that need them?

Just putting it on some obscure professionals web site wont let many people know.

This is my first post and don't know if this is the best forum.

Earlier this year I had a PV system installed by a company that works throughout the UK. Although their installation diagram showed a DC Isolator switch between the panels and the inverter this was not fitted.  I was not happy with this but they assured me that it was not necessary because there is a switch on the inverter. However, I was recently talking to local company about re-configuring the panels. They insist a separate DC Isolator should have been fitted before the system was approved. So I am confronted by two people each adamant that they are correct. Looking on this forum most of the posts on this issue are unclear. Personally, I want the switch but its a question of who pays.  Could anybody give me clear advice?
M

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »

Hiya and welcome. Bit of a long shot, but does it happen to be a SolarEdge system? It's just that I understand that these don't need a DC isolator, though I may be wrong about that.

Martyn.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »

If the switch on the inverter isolates the DC input then you don't need a separate switch. What model of inverter do you have?

Volunteer moderator
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: