navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G83  (Read 30223 times)
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »

thanks Bruce , I'll try to digest it all.
Quick look , it seems strange that there's not clear guidance from Ofgem ; with higher effiency panels coming on the market , getting as close to 4kWp and more importantly the 16A limit ffor easy installation on to the grid , is surely in the interest of the FITS funded national PV project
Getting as big and cost efficient system on each household as poss. to maximise returns for all. ( including us the energy bill payers funding this FITs scheme)

use a 4000TL, change the maximum output setting to 3680W, change the installer password to prevent the customer changing the settings back, make a clear note of this on the DNO notification form stating that the inverter output is limited to 3680W / 16amps AC.

Job done.

Biggest system we've installed this way is 4.5kWp DC, with the rating for both G83 and MCS/FIT purposes being the 3680W or 16amps.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
jamesingram

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »

Fantastic , just what I was after ,  thanks Gavin

jamesingram

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »

Wondering what effect reducing the max. output setting on inverter would have on annual yeald , I presume reduce it some ( compared to leaving it a 4kw max AC output ), but at the same time allow larger systems to nick a bit more generation and FIT payment at the higher rate and stay in G83  
Do you think the extra panel costs would add up ??

Currently considering a 16 ,and now 18 after comments above, 240W panel system on a 4000TL  , two different pitch angles ( upper and lower roofs ) same origination hence the TL would make sense ? ( 8/8 or now 10/8 string split )
Sunny design showing 400kWh/year difference , but obviously this doesn't take into account the max. ac setting reduction to 3.68
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:50:16 PM by jamesingram » Logged
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »

you'd obviously lose some production at the top end, but in peak sunlight the panels will be operating at higher temperatures, so there'd be something like 15% reduction in output from this, plus maybe 5-6% inverter losses, so it'd mostly be operating at around 3.6-3.8kW at the top end anyway other than for brief periods.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »

Also the different pitch angles would slightly reduce the peak possible hence reduce the losses due to the limit.
brackwell

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »

jamesingram,

I am going to fit 5Kwp with a sma 4000TL and have been researching/monitoring the output of http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=2476&sid=1872&t=3&gs=0&da=1&s=1 who is close to me. My conclusion is the advantage way way outweighs the peak chopping.

Ken
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: