navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbine cable extension  (Read 2394 times)
rog

« on: July 24, 2006, 02:47:28 PM »

I have a 500W turbine. The cable supplied is 13m long but I need about 30m. Would it be best to simply extend it , replace with one piece or buy a larger diameter cable to reduce energy losses?
Ian
installers

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:37:13 PM »

This is another "length of piece of string question"..

From a technical and efficiency point of view it would be best to replace the whole cable with a single length of larger cross sectional area.

From the point of view of your pocket, it would be best to simply extend what you have.

Why not extend it for now and take measurements of the voltage differentials over the cable length when all is operational and running. If you see significant differences between voltages at the start and end of the run in real conditions, then think about replacing the entire run with larger (more expensive) cable (or running a second cable of similar cross ectional area to the first in parallel - this will double the cross sectional area and limit the total outlay).

My guess is that the cable supplied with the turbine is suitable for when it is going flat out. But for most of the time your turbine will not be going flat out and therefore a suboptimal cable will not necessarily inflict significant power losses over an extended line.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
rog

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 11:46:35 PM »

Thanks for the advice, that sounds a good idea.
will let you know how it goes.
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 01:49:42 AM »

There is not a right/wrong answer.

If you have a look on the download page, there is a wire-loss calculator that will help you work out the theoretical loss for different lengths/cross section cables running at different power levels. This may be helpful in estimating losses.

Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: