navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typical cost  (Read 169385 times)
pdf27

« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »

Quick question: does anybody know how ground mount systems compare in price to roof mounted systems? I've just (at long last!) had an offer accepted on a house which has both a monstrously big garden and we'll almost certainly be putting a new roof onto. It's on mains gas heating at the moment and the short term plan is to keep the current boiler for a few years, but in the long run we'll almost certainly be shifting to a heat pump so would aim for quite a bit PV system.
camillitech

« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »

Hard to say without knowing more info but cost wouldn't be my prime consideration, is it a bungalow? does it face south? could a ground mount be orientated better than the roof? Will a ground mount make a nice car port? Do you have lovely slates you want to show off or carp tiles you want to hide? Do you get much snow that can be easily cleaned on a ground mount? Would there be less shading on the roof ? Efficiency and practicality would be my priority not cost.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #437 on: March 31, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »

Efficiency and practicality would be my priority not cost.

Yurp. Me too. But it's not normal.
 I can design fail-safe systems with <5W base load, minimal system & conversion losses, self-isolating idle power converters with accurate and comprehensive data logging and inbuilt redundancy.
Most people just want it cheap and cheerful "to work", be easy to install and a little green led to inform them all is well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:36:59 AM by Scruff » Logged
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #438 on: March 31, 2017, 06:42:11 AM »

If you ground mount will you be using a
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/DougEnphase/DougEnphase.htm
Or similar like both Biff and I have used?    Are scaffolding poles available where you are?  Or would you buy bespoke?
I used concrete to secure mine but some of the non concrete ground anchors look good. I forget who posted about them

Good news on your project !! Grin
Scruff

« Reply #439 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »

I forget who posted about them

Freddyuk methinks.
pdf27

« Reply #440 on: March 31, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

Hard to say without knowing more info but cost wouldn't be my prime consideration, is it a bungalow? does it face south? could a ground mount be orientated better than the roof? Will a ground mount make a nice car port? Do you have lovely slates you want to show off or carp tiles you want to hide? Do you get much snow that can be easily cleaned on a ground mount? Would there be less shading on the roof ? Efficiency and practicality would be my priority not cost.
  • Currently a bungalow, subject to planning we would like to make it no longer a bungalow (SIP panels to give room-in-roof probably) since this appears to be cheaper for the same internal space than extending backwards
  • Front of the bungalow faces South-East, so to package any ground-mount array into the garden it would need to face either South-East or South-West. Due south would be pretty awkward and leave a cut-off triangle behind it that couldn't be used much.
  • Probably not - the front of the house is fairly near to the road and the sides are quite shaded and narrow.
  • Currently the original 1920s tiles, assume that we end up with new tiles on the roof that we aren't fussed about the look of.
  • In Buckinghamshire, so snow is not a concern.
  • Likely to be little shading on a ground-mount system (potentially a couple of apple trees when the sun is low) and nothing at all on a roof-mount system. Figure that the improved cooling and better angle options on ground-mount will balance this out.

Quote from: todthedog
If you ground mount will you be using a
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/DougEnphase/DougEnphase.htm
Or similar like both Biff and I have used?    Are scaffolding poles available where you are?  Or would you buy bespoke?
I used concrete to secure mine but some of the non concrete ground anchors look good. I forget who posted about them
Would probably try to avoid scaffolding poles/clamps, but quite happy to take a crack at knocking something up myself - I'm a chartered mechanical engineer so it would do me good to actually make something for a change rather than telling people how to make it.
M

« Reply #441 on: March 31, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »

Unless it's changed you may need planning permission for 9m2+ of PV. No idea if that's easy or not, depends on neighbours I suppose.

SE + SW would be ideal, probably better than all south, could you build some sort of structures (shed, summer house, etc) then roof mount them, as I think this is PP free.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #442 on: March 31, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »

Not having scaffolding available i used oblong steel that i treated with anti rust. The box profile made it very easy to fix panels.
camillitech

« Reply #443 on: March 31, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

Unless it's changed you may need planning permission for 9m2+ of PV. No idea if that's easy or not, depends on neighbours I suppose.

SE + SW would be ideal, probably better than all south, could you build some sort of structures (shed, summer house, etc) then roof mount them, as I think this is PP free.

I keeps forgetting about PP, tis something we don't bother about here  whistlie Sounds like the bungalow roof would be ideal and probably cheaper but I just lurve ground mounts and would hate to cover my slates. Ground mounts are just so much easier to clean, fault find, repair and of course you can always use em for something else if you have the space.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
pdf27

« Reply #444 on: March 31, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »

I keeps forgetting about PP, tis something we don't bother about here  whistlie Sounds like the bungalow roof would be ideal and probably cheaper but I just lurve ground mounts and would hate to cover my slates. Ground mounts are just so much easier to clean, fault find, repair and of course you can always use em for something else if you have the space.
"Should be at least 5m from boundaries" - well that isn't happening then! The garden is big, but that limits you to right in the middle where it would be a confounded nuisance. Planning might well be possible - it isn't likely to bother the neighbours at all - but for now I'll assume roof-mounted to start with.
http://www.uksolarpowerpanels.co.uk/solar-power-planning-permission.php
DonL

« Reply #445 on: March 31, 2017, 05:45:06 PM »

That link looks a bit strange:
"Planning For Standalone Solar Panels

Should be no higher than four metres
    Should be at least 5m from boundaries
    Size of array is limited to 9 sq m or 3m wide and 3m deep"
Mine are over 200m2 and I had no problem getting planning permission.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
pdf27

« Reply #446 on: March 31, 2017, 05:57:01 PM »

That link looks a bit strange:
"Planning For Standalone Solar Panels

Should be no higher than four metres
    Should be at least 5m from boundaries
    Size of array is limited to 9 sq m or 3m wide and 3m deep"
Mine are over 200m2 and I had no problem getting planning permission.
I think it's more of a case of you will need planning permission, not that it won't be granted - in my case I need to get planning for the house first in any case.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #447 on: April 01, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »

Those are the conditions for 'permitted development' where you can go ahead without getting planning permission.

Volunteer moderator
nowty

« Reply #448 on: April 01, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »

And if you make a ground mount into a building like my ladder store its permitted development.  fingers crossed!

free screen capture software

10kW of PV installed and 40+ MWh generated.
Usable battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Heat storage of 20+ kWh.
6kW Ground Source Heatpump.
190,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
A few cold frames and raised beds.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #449 on: April 01, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »

Timely posts (Ted & Nowty) ..I'm.  Contemplating a glut of panels ala nowty in the back garden (as a separate set to the main house roof & carport panels) ... At what point would I fall under "habitable" ..in terms of council interference if mounted on a framework that becomes a sips structure, along the fence line (only option) southerly facing, or  can I convert the fence line with sips panels (metal sheathed) to form part of the "solar structure" ..then use it enclosed for storage, green housing, ...maybe office / workshop ..how far can I push the definition?

Nb for rear garden I'm liking at second hand panels but new for house roof, ease of access etc..

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: